RO Units

drew2005

Ok after going to 3 Walmarts tonight and all 3 had no RO water left, im fed up
. Its time for a RO unit. Can someone please list 3 good units that i can look into? I have researched some but id like some opinions from experienced users. I dont need anything extreme. I only have a 46 gallon tank and i change about 10% weekly.

airforceb2

How can they not have any left? It is a stand-alone filter.
As for RO/DI units...I have one from the auction site. It was $100 shipped. Made by Dvoneb and filters 100GPD. I love it.

drew2005

Originally Posted by airforceb2
As for RO/DI units...I have one from the auction site. It was $100 shipped. Made by Dvoneb and filters 100GPD. I love it.
This Walmart doesnt have the machine. I was buying gallon jugs. Im so stressed right now. :mad:

pohtr

I also live where the Walmarts don't carry the machines and have to buy their drinking water which isn't even really RO. I have been crazy with frustration trying to find the stuff and have had to use tap water several times. I'm where you're at and am looking into getting the RO unit myself. After a bunch of research I have decided that its much better to get the RO/DI units and not just the RO ones available at Sams or Costco. The one repeatedly recommended seems to be the Typhoon III. It is around $200. I'm ordering one.....unless this thread changes my mind.....

airforceb2

I'm tellin ya. I'll swear by my filter. People say that the higher output (100gpd opposed to 50gpd) is bad because it doesn't filter very well but the numbers prove otherwise to me. My tap (revised) has roughly 350PPM TDS. My filtered water outputs between 10 to 20PPM. I don't care who you ask...that is pretty darn good!!

drew2005

Originally Posted by WHO DEY
seachem pinnacle 35gpd $189 :cheer:
I looked at that but its only an RO unit. No DI unless you can add it on. hmmmm...

drew2005

not only that, that Typhoon III is 10 bucks more and its a 5 stage. The Seachem is a 3 stage. Dammit im confused. :confused:

acrylic51

Boy!!!!!!!! :D I remember not long ago a week or so another thread like this and someone had nerve to make the comment it doesn't pay to have an RO unit for a smaller tank......I should link the thread and you can post there about having to go to Walmart and them not having water......
That was exactly why I had posted in the other thread not to rely on your LFS, Walmart or grocery store for your water needs... With the price of gas, your time, and your fishes health it's in your best interest to purchase an RO unit. That way you can ensure the quality of your water at all times...... :yes:
Enough said on that, but there are several good RO units out there...Actually alot....The thing to be weary about is the bigger units....If you take notice that your smaller GPD units have a membrane that offers a higher rejection rate which is what your looking for...When you get to the 75 and 100GPD you start sacrificing at times the rejection rate....You also have to see if they are using junk imitation membranes.....I'm not saying that you can't upgrade to better quality membranes, but alot of times that is the difference in price your paying if it's unknown to you....
AWI has the Typhoon 5 stage which is very nice at a very good price and good customer service and prices on filters aren't bad as well...Spectrapure is probably tops, but they are rather pricey, but the deal with Spectrapure and Golfish will tell you is that the test the membranes and tell you what the rejection rate is for that particular membrane, which I don't know of any other company doing, so again you pay for better quality....Kent has a decent unit as well, but their membranes are a bit pricey, but again you can get membranes from different places as well as your other cartridges.....
If you want the best go Spectrapure but will pay, but my 2nd choice would be AWI the Typhoon 5 stage with the dual TDS meter.
I have a Kent, but opted to use filters from AWI and purchased the dual TDS meter so I can monitor water quality as it enters the unit and as it leaves....I upgraded the Kent with the membrane housing that has the automatic shutoff valve built into it, since I didn't like Kents version of the automatic shutoff with all that crap hanging....the new housing was a direct replacement no mods needed and ran about $11.00. I also added an extra canister, so basically it's identical to the AWI, but with a different membrane housing....

treystang

Originally Posted by airforceb2
yup.. famous autcion site.. there is a seller called filterdirect.. look for that guys stuff.

flux

Does anyone know what the rejection rate on the Ro/Di units from filter direct on the auction site are? What rejection rate should I be looking for? Im in a similar predicament with my water, so I think its about time that I suck it up and buy one. thanks

acrylic51

You should ask seller what the rejection rate is on the membrane....If he can't tell you that then I wouldn't buy squat from him.....Look for a rejection rate of 98-99%

dskidmore

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Boy!!!!!!!! :D I remember not long ago a week or so another thread like this and someone had nerve to make the comment it doesn't pay to have an RO unit for a smaller tank...

I stand by the statement, on a pure cost basis. If you're paying 33 cents a gallon and using 5 or fewer gallons per week, or paying 50 cents a gallon and using 3 or fewer gallons per week, you are better off buying the water than filtering. (I found a cheaper unit after my initial analysis that said I'd need to use 14 gallons per week to make the unit pay for itself, so I will be getting a filter for my 75 gallon.)
Unless you're having some sort of emergency, you can wait a bit longer for the store's water delivery. Even if it was an emergency, and you start running your RO/DI now, it will take several hours to get the gallons you need, and you would actually save time running around finding a store to get water. In an emergency, I'd use the grocery store's distilled water, especially if it was for a QT situation. (Yeah, I'd worry about trace copper from copper distilled water in the main tank, I'd only use it that once for the emergency and hope any trace was well dilluted.)
I am currently buying my water. I agree it's a pain. I buy a couple week's worth at once so I don't have to go every week. I am lucky enough to live in an urban area, there are 3 walmarts within easy driving distance that have RO machines, and countless grocery stores that have RO or distilled water on the shelves. If you only have one option near you, it might change the story in your case.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=170278
Speaking of that other thread, no-one answered my question: how often do you change your filters? Do you do it on a timed basis, or on the TDS meter results? I hear you can test between RO/DI to make sure the RO cuts the TDS to 10%, and after DI make sure TDS is 0-2?

dskidmore

Originally Posted by treystang
yup.. famous autcion site.. there is a seller called filterdirect.. look for that guys stuff.
I'll have to run the numbers on that one. Looks promising. Unfortunately I have someplace to be.

acrylic51

Again Dskidmore your relying on someone else for your tanks water quality.....To me theirs not a money factor to put on that......We all know the hobby is expensive and when you stop and think about it this is a piece of equipment that should be a "must".....When you stop and look at the time it takes to go get the water and with gas prices your figure of .33 is out the window......
Your paying .33 per gallon x 5=$1.65. That's not counting your time there and back, and gas. So on a monthly basis your spending $6.60 just for water, what do you do for top off water for evaportation?? Run back and get another gallon or so??? Again time and gas... Your spending more on gas and time unless the LFS is next door.....Again you could build your own RO/DI unit for around $100.00 which would pay for itself regardless what size tank you have. It's so insane to think or say it wouldn't actually pay for itself.....When we've read and seen the story of the LFS taking water from their tank and selling it....I'm not saying all the LFS do this, but do we really know what's going on behind the scene??? They could do water changes and pump this water into holding containers and turn around and sell it to the public.....Again sounds real iffy to me.....Why take the chance?? That's like saying why buy test kits since I don't test all the time and I'll just take it to the LFS and let them do it????? Bottom line is, if your going to skimp certain areas hang it up and IMO RO/DI units and a quality test kit are key maybe not from day 1, but within the first 6 months.....I wouldn't even venture to start a tank without either......Cost of business basically....

airforceb2

Not to mention, the RO/DI water tastes awesome...or well...doesn't taste like anything at all. So you are also getting all the bottled water you could ever want.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by DSkidmore

I stand by the statement, on a pure cost basis. If you're paying 33 cents a gallon and using 5 or fewer gallons per week, or paying 50 cents a gallon and using 3 or fewer gallons per week, you are better off buying the water than filtering. (I found a cheaper unit after my initial analysis that said I'd need to use 14 gallons per week to make the unit pay for itself, so I will be getting a filter for my 75 gallon.)
Unless you're having some sort of emergency, you can wait a bit longer for the store's water delivery. Even if it was an emergency, and you start running your RO/DI now, it will take several hours to get the gallons you need, and you would actually save time running around finding a store to get water. In an emergency, I'd use the grocery store's distilled water, especially if it was for a QT situation. (Yeah, I'd worry about trace copper from copper distilled water in the main tank, I'd only use it that once for the emergency and hope any trace was well dilluted.)
I am currently buying my water. I agree it's a pain. I buy a couple week's worth at once so I don't have to go every week. I am lucky enough to live in an urban area, there are 3 walmarts within easy driving distance that have RO machines, and countless grocery stores that have RO or distilled water on the shelves. If you only have one option near you, it might change the story in your case.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=170278
Speaking of that other thread, no-one answered my question: how often do you change your filters? Do you do it on a timed basis, or on the TDS meter results? I hear you can test between RO/DI to make sure the RO cuts the TDS to 10%, and after DI make sure TDS is 0-2?
Not trying to beat on you Dskidmore, but in an emergency is the key....You never know when that might be, and the smart hobbyist always keeps a couple gallons; me personally 50 gallons of pure RO/DI water ready to go at the moment incase that emergency arises...Not saying you have to keep that amount, but we all don't just sit idle and fire the dang thing up at the last moment......I run my RO/DI constant. Has automatic shutoff, and when I do the water change I usually wait a day or 2 before I start the next batch and this allow plenty of time for the temp to adjust and proper aeration and mix of saltwater....Maybe anal, but I'm always prepared....
Your other question about when to change your filters is easily done with the use of a TDS meter...You can get hand held units cheap and you can buy plug in inline units as well...With the dual plug in units you can measure the quality of water coming in and also the quality of water exiting the unit....When you see the exiting number change it's indicating to check the filters........