RO units?

wlong336

I am curious as to what to look for when buying a RO unit, should I get one that also deionizes as well? Also how can I tell if my water pressure is high enough to not need an extra pump?
thanks for any advise

anonome

You will want to get one that is large enough for your needs. I have a 125g tank, so I went with a 100gpd (gallons per day) RO/DI unit that I feed into a 50g tub with heater and powerhead. This way I always have enough water waiting in case I need to do a major water change. It just makes life so much easier. As far as enough pressure, most houses are plumbed with the proper water pressure, usually around 45 pounds. I have it on my cold water side of the washing machine. I can open the valve and it goes right into the unit, the spent water goes into the drain tub for the washing machine. Works great. I periodically test the water with a TDS meter to make sure the water is pure. Good luck.

spectre879

There is a relatively cheap one at Home Depot. It only puts out 10gph, but if you store that water in a clean tub (I will be using a 30g brand new trashcan that has been washed in very very hot water) with its own filter and allow it to run so it meets you needs, thenits more cost efficent. Of course I only have a 75g so my water changes differ in size than others. I spoke to a local fish store today that has been operating for over close to 40 years and they mentioned that RO is recommended, but not always nessissary if your filtration is good.

anonome

Originally Posted by wlong336
Cool thanks for the info. how long does yours take to pump out a 100g?
I get 100g in about 15-17hours. In the winter it runs faster, they say the colder the water the faster it works. I need to look into a auto cut -off unit of some kind, I have over filled the water reserve tank a few times. :scared: Oh well, the laundry room floor needed washing anyway!! I now find that a kitchen timer works great.