RO vs Distilled water

caspervtx

Is distilled water sold for water coolers (the large "jugs" that get turned upside down) equatable to RO for Marine purposes? I am sure they are purified and filtered but wondering if there is anything else put in them that would negate their use?
Casper

snaredrum

If using Distilled like discribed, check TDS. I do know that the TDS from our cooler at work is a little high. Could be the unit (dispenser) is not getting cleaned properly. It seems before I bought the RO/DI unit I was trying everything. Getting a RO/DI unit will save you in the long run. I know there are nice units for little money. I just bought a RO/DI w/Dual DI's and inline TDS meters for $199 bucks. Thats a 75 GPD unit.
Good Luck

king_neptune

I got a nice 5 stage RO-DI unit brand new on the bay for $96. 0 ppm money back guarantee. Also included a 6th stage carbon reactor to make drinking water as well(removes flavor). But I only have use for the first 5 stages, thats for the RO-DI tank water. Just do some shopping, these units are pretty cheap.
My only complaint is the manual was pretty lame, but most of these units all install identical...so I downloaded some manual's from a few other manufacturers. No big deal.

caspervtx

Thank you both for your responses. An RO/DI unit is definitely on my list but at the present to get up and running I don't have the cash for it. BUT I did find an LFS that sells saltwater RO/DI water for $1.50 per gallon or freshwater for .50 per gallon.
That is now the leading concept on my table to get my tank kicked off while I work on getting the rest in place.
Casper

cajonez

$1.50 /g seems high. You might want to check your grocery stores. Mine sell RODI for like 43 cents /g.

king_neptune

my LFS sells it at $1 a gallon. thats for pre-mixed ro-di saltwater, at proper salinity.And he barly makes little proffit.
I dont see how .43 per gallon saltwater can be profitable, you spend that much in salt easy.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3084691
my LFS sells it at $1 a gallon. thats for pre-mixed ro-di saltwater, at proper salinity.And he barly makes little proffit.
I dont see how .43 per gallon saltwater can be profitable, you spend that much in salt easy.
He's talking about .43 per gallon RO/DI. I was getting ready for a road trip at that price too. I have found Phosphate in BOTH my LFSs mixes and that, after fighting hair algea, moved me to the RO/DI onsite.

king_neptune

ah I gotcha...ya ill agree then. i think walmart sells it for .29 a gallon at that water dispenser they usually have in the back.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3085188
ah I gotcha...ya ill agree then. i think walmart sells it for .29 a gallon at that water dispenser they usually have in the back.
check any of these stores for Phosphate. If they don't keep an eye on their membrane it can be a problem. I know from past problems like hair algea and couldn't figure where it was coming from.