RO vs. RO/DI

effishient

I have read all the previous posts on RO and RO/DI water, but I don't understand the significance or importance of Deionizing water. Under what circumstances is DI necessary (if ever) or is it just an added bonus?
I have a 55gal fish/invert tank that's been setup for about 9 months now. I am having nuisance red algae problems and heard RO may take care of them. Do I really need DI too?:notsure:

G

grindzgreg

Im a reef keeper
Well, you wont need a DI, trust me
Stay cute:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

bang guy

Normal RO membranes remove about 70% of Phosphate and Silicate. Phosphate is a major contributor to Cyanobacter (Red Slime). If you want to remove the remaining 30% you'll need to deionize the water. The newer Hi-S RO membranes do a better job but still only remove 95% of Phosphate.

mburnickas

I have been use Distilled Water (DW) other then tap. It was not the best but had to do till pay day. I thought DW would have helped with diatom issue but nope. I think DW is the same as tap but that is me.
Well I just got my new Kent Maxxima HI-S 60 Gal per Day in so I will let you know how it works.

aarone

so greg....your profile says you dont have any saltwater experience yet you say you are a reef keeper? explain

G

grindzgreg

Well Aarone, i do have a reef after taking the advise of the men and women of this Fourm. Thank you for your concern.
Stay Cute:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :cheer:

aarone

oh i just figured people wouldnt want someone who doesnt know what they are talking about give them advice when they have real problems

fishman830

........ i have almsot a years experience and i don't consider myself even close to knowing anything.... i'm a beginner.. i think.. still learning.. but yes i would get the DI

badkharma

Originally posted by aarone
so greg....your profile says you dont have any saltwater experience yet you say you are a reef keeper? explain

You look at people's profiles? You, sir, have too much time.
:happy:

fishman830

Originally posted by mo0nshine
grindzgreg has way too much time on his hands. He/she goes around this board posting bogus information. That is a seriously bored person. Get a life grindzgreg, cant a SWF mod just ban this idiot?

best idea i've heard with his name in it!

badkharma

Originally posted by aarone
then why do you write a profile when you register?
whats the point

It was a joke. :hilarious Personally, I don't care about people's profiles. It's there as a perk, I guess - I didn't create this forum so I don't know. I suppose it could be helpful if people actually used it to it's potential and others actually looked at it rather than a person repeating himself about his tank specs. Most people don't even fill them out the whole way, and even more people don't look at them at all.