RO vs. Standard water filters

jeg

With the cost of RO water systems, why not use an undersink standard water filtration unit? Now granted, I only have a 37 gallon and only change approx. 5 gallons a month or so. Are these systems acceptable to use?

keitho

well, regular carbon filters can't remove the dissolved salts and heavy metals like an RO membrane can. RO is not really "filtration" in the traditional sense...it is a system in which water is forced through a selectively permeable membrane. the water is allowed to pass through the membrance, but an overwhelming majority of the dissolves salts, metals, organics, bacteria, and other contaminants accumulate on the outside of the membrane and are washed away in the effluent. carbon-based water filters cannot, by definition, come close to the quality of the water produced by an RO system. IMHO, if you aren't using RO in your reef tank, it's only a matter of time before things go south. hope this helps...

kelly

Keitho,
You say "it's only a matter of time", how long? I have never used RO, and my tank has been up for over 10 yrs.
Jeg, I agree with Keithe that RO is the best, it removes most of the impurities that can cause problems. If you can afford it, then do it. I just have been lucky enough to have good water available to me. You can have your water professionally tested to see if it is ok if you like. I have no idea who would give a detailed water test/report, but it is an option.

keitho

well, you're assuming that nothing in your water will ever change. at least with RO, you can be sure of the quality of the water you're using. also, culligan or other water companies will give water tests for free (of course, in an effort to sell you their products).