RO waste water line ?

stimpy4242

no not really. the pressure is the same as any other water line in your house. I mean I imagine it would eventually be overcome by head, but you could run the drain as high as the highest pipe in your house.

geridoc

Check the plumbing codes. There is a required drop for drain lines from source to drain to insure that there is no backflow.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
Check the plumbing codes. There is a required drop for drain lines from source to drain to insure that there is no backflow.
I dont think you really need to worry about that with just the drain line from an RO unit. Its not like its a hard plumbed water line or anything.

stimpy4242

yes you could run a long tube to it for the source. Also in reference to the reply about plumbing codes, that has to do with waste and really two things one your water to waste is not really dirty just not perfect. Remember you could drink the waste water, its the same as your tap just more concentrated, but you could not tell. Also that line is pressured as well not just a gravity flow. Your shower is not and you could not run that up.

hiitt2006

One more question,is it okay to run an RO unit only once a week.Right now I'm only going to need about 5 gallons of water a week,so it will not be producing water on a regular basis

dueces

Can I take my Waste line from my RO unit and stick it in the waste pipe of my washer?
I don't see why not but I wanted to check. thanks

f14peter

Originally Posted by dueces
Can I take my Waste line from my RO unit and stick it in the waste pipe of my washer?
I don't see why not but I wanted to check. thanks
That's exactly what I did and don't see any problems what so ever.
My washer's drain is merely an upright pipe with the hose from the machine resting on top with a U-type end. I just put the waste-water hose down into the pipe and everything seems to be working fine.
The waste-water hose doesn't have to be "sealed", under pressure, or anything like that, the water just shoots out.

f14peter

Originally Posted by hiitt2006
One more question,is it okay to run an RO unit only once a week.Right now I'm only going to need about 5 gallons of water a week,so it will not be producing water on a regular basis
Essentially, yes. The only condition may be that after a period of idleness, the manufacturer may recommend that an RO/DI unit may need to be flushed (letting all the water go to the waste outlet) for an hour or so. Some units also have a back-flushing setting that may also be a factor.
The length of the non-use period and re-starting proceedure may vary from manufactuer to manufacturer.

dueces

thank you now I just have to steal my neighbors well water so I don't ahve to pay for water....ahahahahaha