RO waste water to a spout

N

nereef

it is my understanding that RODI waste water has already been carbon and micron filtered. it should be cleaner and should taste better than straight out of the tap. has anyone hooked up a drinking water spout from their RODI waste water tube? anyone have ideas or opinions on doing this?

trainfever

You can drink RO water but do not drink RO/DI water. RO/DI water has all minerals removed and you will end up getting sick from the lack of minerals.

scsinet

He's talking about drinking the rejection water from the membrane, which has not gone through the DI stage.
Keep in mind that the RODI reject water contains everything that was removed from the product water by the membrane. Just as an example, let's suppose that for every 2 gallons of water, 1 gallon or reject water and 1 gallon of product water is produced.
This means that that 1 gallon of reject water will be twice as filthy as the water coming in, since it contains the junk that was removed from the product water.
That said, humans have a much higher tolerance for dirty water than the tapwater usually is, so even in that extreme example, it shouldn't hurt you. But, why do it? IMO it's not going to have a big impact, because in most situations, you can never drink as much as you produce. Instead, use that water to water plants or the lawn.
You can't just put a valve on the reject water. The reject line has to be able to flow unobstructed. Instead, run the waste line outside (either horizontally or downhill from the membrane), and run it into a barrel or similar implement with a valve or something that you can use to fill a watering can, etc.

trainfever

I run the waste line into my washing machine and use it to clean the laundry. I also benefit because the waste water is harder due to the extra minerals and thus the laundry comes out softer. I also use the waste water to top off my goldfish tank.

gmax111

Originally Posted by trainfever
I run the waste line into my washing machine and use it to clean the laundry. I also benefit because the waste water is harder due to the extra minerals and thus the laundry comes out softer. I also use the waste water to top off my goldfish tank.

are you serious? hard water is really bad for clothes specially the WHITES!!! It wont use detergent to its full potential and it wont rinse all the soap out of your fabrics... If you were to take a shirt or something washed in hard water, soak it with soft water and ring it out over a bowl, you will see all the soap that stays in the fabrics..
Anyway good luck with that...

G

gustavo

I was thinking about plumbing a ro/di system to my refrig water maker, that way I could make cleaner ice and actually use the water instead of just having it in a holding barrel just for water changes... wonder if anyone has done this?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SCSInet
He's talking about drinking the rejection water from the membrane, which has not gone through the DI stage.
Keep in mind that the RODI reject water contains everything that was removed from the product water by the membrane. Just as an example, let's suppose that for every 2 gallons of water, 1 gallon or reject water and 1 gallon of product water is produced.
This means that that 1 gallon of reject water will be twice as filthy as the water coming in, since it contains the junk that was removed from the product water.
That said, humans have a much higher tolerance for dirty water than the tapwater usually is, so even in that extreme example, it shouldn't hurt you. But, why do it? IMO it's not going to have a big impact, because in most situations, you can never drink as much as you produce. Instead, use that water to water plants or the lawn.
You can't just put a valve on the reject water. The reject line has to be able to flow unobstructed. Instead, run the waste line outside (either horizontally or downhill from the membrane), and run it into a barrel or similar implement with a valve or something that you can use to fill a watering can, etc.
Yeah, but the rejection menbrane is after it has run through 2 carbon stages and one mechanical stage before it hits the membrane, which is more that you have on the back of your fridge. Wouldn't that mean that that it is rejecting water that is cleaner than your fridge water?

N

nereef

actually, the waste water comes out before it goes through the RO membrane. thus, it has gone through the carbon blocks and the micron. it contains much less junk per volume than my tap water does, and it tastes noticably better. you're right, in that the waste would have to run unobstructed, so it may not be possible.

larryndana

i once thought the water was cleaner but my ro/di waste water comes out with a higher TDS reading than my normal tap water. i'll stick with drinking tap water.

scsinet

Each stage removes different impurities. The carbon, mechanical, and DI cartridges all either retain or absorb everything they remove within the media. The RO cartridge rinses everything it removes out through the waste line, which is why RO cartridges have such a long life.
Depending on how much of each substance (and which stage is responsible for it), the water may be better or worse than it was when it went into the unit.
If your water is low in the stuff removed by the carbon and sediment filters, but high in the stuff removed by the RODI, then it will be far worse quality, as the nasties will be more concentrated. However, if the water is high in sediment, chlorine, etc, but low in stuff the RO membrane removes, it will likely be better.
In other words, your situation may be that the waste water is better or worse or pretty much the same as drinking tap water. My position though is that setting up the whole rig to allow for a faucet type arrangement would entail a pressure vessel, some sort of accumulator type reservoir and a pressure pump to pressurize the water, etc... not worth it IMO for what will end up being more water than you can possibly drink. A far better use would be graywater applications, such as outdoor watering.

stdreb27

Each stage removes different impurities. The carbon, mechanical, and DI cartridges all either retain or absorb everything they remove within the media. The RO cartridge rinses everything it removes out through the waste line, which is why RO cartridges have such a long life.
Depending on how much of each substance (and which stage is responsible for it), the water may be better or worse than it was when it went into the unit.
If your water is low in the stuff removed by the carbon and sediment filters, but high in the stuff removed by the RODI, then it will be far worse quality, as the nasties will be more concentrated. However, if the water is high in sediment, chlorine, etc, but low in stuff the RO membrane removes, it will likely be better.
In other words, your situation may be that the waste water is better or worse or pretty much the same as drinking tap water. My position though is that setting up the whole rig to allow for a faucet type arrangement would entail a pressure vessel, some sort of accumulator type reservoir and a pressure pump to pressurize the water, etc... not worth it IMO for what will end up being more water than you can possibly drink. A far better use would be graywater applications, such as outdoor watering.
I like you your replies are so thorough that it basically ends the thread.

scsinet

Originally Posted by stdreb27
I like you your replies are so thorough that it basically ends the thread.

Is that why nobody ever replies after me? I always thought it was because I always piss everyone off so bad nobody wants to deal with me...

stdreb27

Is that why nobody ever replies after me? I always thought it was because I always piss everyone off so bad nobody wants to deal with me...
Answered my question. as it usually does.

mpls man

i use my waste water for watering plants and washing maching,
guess i haven't noticed a difference in the washing.

gmax111

No i have read a lot of your posts and i pretty much have no questions either.. Maybe you could start a site like bob ferner..!