RO water is better than tap water right?

tigershark

A local water store has RO water. I have been using tap water but I want to use better water now. I cant find RO/DI water around here and I dont really have the money to buy my own unit unless I could get one for $50 but I think they are more than that. So is RO water ok for me to use? I have seen distilled but I think it can maybe cause problems. Not too sure tho.

ophiura

In almost all cases, RO and distilled water is better than tap water for salt water tanks.
However, if the RO unit is not properly serviced, you may be paying a lot for tap water. Be sure you get it from a reputable source.
Distilled water, if used, for example, in freshwater tanks, is not good. It is too pure, and is very stressful for cells. However, when adding a salt mix, you are replacing many of the minerals, ions etc and so it is fine.

tigershark

Thats one of my problems I dont know if my source is a good one or not. Its about the same as getting it from a machine outside of walmart or something like that.... who knows how often they service it. Would you say distilled is a little safer getting it from a water store? I've heard you shouldnt use distilled for top off, is this true? Thanks for the help.

S

sinner's girl

you can re-fill your gallon water jugs at walmart for .33 a gl.
it's RO that goes through UV. (there's no room for a rodi unit)

steve40

Distilled water, if used, for example, in freshwater tanks, is not good. It is too pure, and is very stressful for cells.
ophiura- can you go into a little more detail on why distilled water is not good for freshwater. aside from saltwater i also do freshwater and have been using distilled water. if not distilled water what water would you recomend.