ro water or distilled

bigarn

Originally Posted by grandmarm
hi,
since i have to buy either ro or distilled water for water changes - which is better for tank.
thanks
Go with the RO water.

nm reef

:thinking: What are the sources? I'd go with RO water from a source that processes their own ... I use a place locally called H2O Express....I get a decent deal on the price.....around .20 cents a gal.
If you are considering bottled stuff off the shelf I'd still go with RO....either would be expensive off the shelf.Best option would be a RO/DI unit at home and filter your own. Eventually I'll have one..........

jjlittle

RO/Di is the best option thought distilled or just ro will be ok.Save you penny and buy a RO/DI unit they cost about $180 or so for a nice one.Just dont use tap everthing else is much much better.

bigarn

Say it ain't so NM! ...... You don't have your own RO/DI unit? :notsure:
There lies one
of the secrets of Wizardry Reef!

the reef

disitled should be the same as ro but I would do a alkalinity test just to make shure it is under 1 dkh

cadavis7

what about underground spring water that you fill up the jugs yourself. It is not something from the store or do you buy it. It is an actual spring that has a pipe running out of the ground with water coming out of it freely.

the reef

Originally Posted by cadavis7
what about underground spring water that you fill up the jugs yourself. It is not something from the store or do you buy it. It is an actual spring that has a pipe running out of the ground with water coming out of it freely.

this spring watter could be to high in minerals so dont use it

grandmarm

thanks, think i will go with ro water from lfs - about 50 cents a gallon vs distilled water from walmart 58 cents.

cadavis7

Thanks The Reef. We go there to get water once every two weeks or so and thought it may cut that cost but going to the the store is what I will continue to do.
Thanks again...

tripleup05

buy a few of those big 3 to five gallons jugs at the back of the store at WalMart, and refil it from the RO unit they have there. only $.25 per gallon after the intial purchase instead of the $.50 for a new 1gallon jug everytime

mhoup

Originally Posted by cadavis7

I have well water at my house and had a HUGE problem with nitrates (20ppm) in my tank and could not figure it out. I havea few damsels that I fed flake food to and didn't think I could possibly over feed them that much. :notsure: I finally deceided to test my tap water and discovered the problem and freaked when I saw they were 40ppm from the tap.
So that water may not be good for yor tank, as mentioned, test it first.

brotox

I recently read on another website that distilled water can be harmful because all traces of minerals are removed and water molecules may bond with fish and inverts containing these minerals. Is this true? I am just a newbie, so I really have no idea. I just filled my tank with distilled though, and I'm worried about putting anything in there if this is the case. This is the site where I read this:
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef...n/reef.htm#dos

the reef

Originally Posted by Brotox
I recently read on another website that distilled water can be harmful because all traces of minerals are removed and water molecules may bond with fish and inverts containing these minerals. Is this true? I am just a newbie, so I really have no idea. I just filled my tank with distilled though, and I'm worried about putting anything in there if this is the case. This is the site where I read this:
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef...n/reef.htm#dos
ro or distild the elements are taken out but by mixing the salt into the ro or distiled watter your replenishing these elements and for fresh watter you can get the elements package that will restablish the minerals

the reef

Originally Posted by acrylic51
RO water
acrylic if your asking what is ro watter is just reverse osmosis watter

F

franciee

Hi All I am new here I know this sounds dumb but what is RO water. Thank you so much

kevtheiris

Originally Posted by tripleup05
buy a few of those big 3 to five gallons jugs at the back of the store at WalMart, and refil it from the RO unit they have there. only $.25 per gallon after the intial purchase instead of the $.50 for a new 1gallon jug everytime
Went to the local Walmart couldn't find it... All they had was spring water, distilled, and drinking water-which was nothing but tap water...