RO Water

airforceb2

Ok, what is the difference between RO and filtered water? I'm looking at RO units and the boss won't let me spend any more money. I ran some tests on my tap water and it all came out 0 except for my clorine count. I have a PUR filter on my faucet and was wondering if that would do the trick or if I really need to either get 90g of distilled water from the store or shell out the $75 for a RO unit. Thanks.

mbrands

Originally posted by airforceb2
shell out the $75 for a RO unit. Thanks.

This sounds pretty cheap. I don't have a RO unit myself, but I thought they were in the hundreds. Before purchasing, take into account the number of gallons per day that the unit produces.

fishphreak

a PUR filter will not produce the same quality of water as an RO unit.
I am getting a RO unit myself in the next few weeks. Most likely a Typhoon III 75 GPD unit from airwaterice.com
And the good news that it should only raise your water bill by about $5.
This is why I will be using a an RO unit: There is already risk involved with a saltwater tank so I don't want to add to that risk by using tap water.
The units are inexpensive on that famous auction site and the cost of running one is minimal.
If it was my tank I would not use distilled water. I have been told that copper pipes are sometimes used to make distilled water and that copper could get in your water.