RO water

1journeyman

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I agree in part with both of you, If you have a lot of expirience and are aware of possible dangers you can moniter these, just like rykana said its not reccomended for the begginer who has little working knowledge. I use tap water and am aware of possible danger. I also use ro/di every once in a while that my buddy makes me to help dilute any build up.
Again, experience doesn't matter imho. A toxic build up of a heavy metal will wipe out a tank no matter who has it. Again I go back to the old mantra "don't add it unless you are testing for it.". Do a TDS test on your tap water and ask yourself what all of those solids are... My tap water tests at 575-600ppm.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Rykna
I have a 15 gallon tank that is currently empty. Once I get my total store credit from my fs(for the returns of my 90 tank) I would be able to conduct the test I suggested; Tap VS RO..... However my current tank is 45 gallons.
What do you all think????? A 45 gallon VS a 15 gallon. Do you think the size would vary the difference too much?????
IMHO~I think since we are addressing the components of the water; a smaller tank would degrade much quicker if I used tap water instead of RO; in regards to unwanted algae growth and water quality. So if I do the same maintance with the 45(tap water) and the 15(RO water) and the 15 gallon levels remain constant in a time span of say a month; and I would already therorize that I would have to do more water level balancing with my 45 to keep the same consistancy. And probably more cleaning to because of the agressive algae growth due to the elevated levels of minerals.
What do you think??? :thinking:
Interesting, but I think your time scale might be too short.
Let's say your tap water is .001% copper. (totally fictional number). In a month no big deal. In 5 years, however, bad news.
I think a better test would be to get a good TDS breakdown of your tap water. From there we can look at it, figure out your water additions/changes and see from there what is building up.

readster

to the person who said they're tap water was 575-600 ppm of tds, the federal limit for tap water is 500 ppm, that is just way high, my tap for example measure at 158 ppm of tds, i really doubt your's is that high, if you use water from a municipal water plant.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by readster
to the person who said they're tap water was 575-600 ppm of tds, the federal limit for tap water is 500 ppm, that is just way high, my tap for example measure at 158 ppm of tds, i really doubt your's is that high, if you use water from a municipal water plant.
It is... checked from 3 different TDS meters.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to call the water Co.

rykna

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Interesting, but I think your time scale might be too short.
Let's say your tap water is .001% copper. (totally fictional number). In a month no big deal. In 5 years, however, bad news.
I think a better test would be to get a good TDS breakdown of your tap water. From there we can look at it, figure out your water additions/changes and see from there what is building up.
Gotcha. I can find that out from the county.
Once I find that out I think doing the test tanks would be fun. But do you think that the tank size differences would mess up the results? I think that by having the RO tank be the smaller one it would prove my earlier thought that the bigger tank would degrade faster than the smaller one.
I can also use the smaller tank for a quaritine tank which I have yet to set up.
:notsure: