RO Water...

newaquagirl

I have a stupid question... I purchased a small RO water filter and was wondering if the water can be stored and if so for how long?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaquagirl http:///t/396302/ro-water#post_3530688
I have a stupid question... I purchased a small RO water filter and was wondering if the water can be stored and if so for how long?

Hi, no such thing as a stupid question

Small RO filter, can you give more detail?

I have a 5 stage unit, with a 3g holding tank under my kitchen sink. When I mix new saltwater I have a 37g plastic garbage can (fish only) I fill it and keep a utility power head in it to churn the water and mix the salt. I cover it with a table cloth because I have dogs and they shed, I don't want any stray fur in the water.

newaquagirl

Thanks Bang Guy...

Flower - I purchased a 3 stage space saver unit (no holding tank) because I don't have a lot of room... Says it makes 75 gallons per day. I have a 32 gallon plastic garbage can (fish only) and I have a power head mixing the salt... I'm planning on doing a water change today if the salt level is ok...

flower

Hi,

Using the power head with a clear flex hose to pump the water from your 32g container to the tank, will save your back.

I remove a little at a time (3x 5g buckets at a time) and refill the tank, then repeat until I have used all the change water. I always save the last bucket of water I remove until I have completed the change...just in case I removed too much water.

Some folks are more secure and remove all they intend to remove, and then fill with new water, I messed up my first try, and removed more water then I could replace, and had to get more from the LFS...since then I do it the way I mentioned above. Anyway I just thought I would toss it out there so you can be aware of the mistake I made, giving you a heads up so you don't what I did.

snakeblitz33

You know, you could easily save a little time and effort by putting a float valve on your trash can and letting it make up all of your water overnight while you sleep. The float valve would cut off the water flow coming from the unit, so that it would shut off and not overflow the container. Putting a ball valve on the line and cutting it off when you're not using it would probably also be a good idea.

Also,... don't make the mistake like I did... make absolutely sure that you get a TDS meter and test your top off water to make sure it's 0ppm TDS or very, very close to it. You want your water pure - that's why you bought a unit in the first place. It does no good to have a unit and then not keep up with filter changes and water testing.

I also do the water change method that Flower has mentioned. I always save the last bucket of water so that I can top off the tank with old water just in case I take a little too much out. It's always best to top off your tank to the right level before your water change so that you don't change your salinity. Be sure you are using a refractometer or an accurate hydrometer to test your tank and your newly mixed water to make sure they match.

To follow up, all I can say is: Success starts with pure water, and keeping your tanks water quality high.

Good luck and see yah around!

newaquagirl

Thanks SnakeBlitz, I did look into the float valve when I ordered the unit and decided against it because didn't think I needed it. I hear where you are coming from it will make my life easier but at this time (a Newbie) I am enjoying all the aspects of this hobby and don't mind spending some time on it... I will definitely take the advise about the water changes and yes, I purchased a a refractometer because the hydrometer was giving me different numbers from day to day... Much happier with the refractometer and I calibrate it every so often...