roach bombing

tomorrow i have to bomb the house for roaches and have an aquarium in the same room as i am going to bomb. tonight i have sealed off all of the glass and sump pump stuff with masking tape. i was wondering since the fish arent getting alot of oxygen if any will they die in a period of about 15 hours???? i have four powerheads running in a 100 gallon tank. will everything be ok?
Thanks

N

nereef

man, that sounds scary to me. i'm no bug expert but i would try all other means to kill the roaches before bug-bombing the room my tank was in. can you move the tank?

we got it sealed up real good though man i dunno im not worried about that im just worried about the oxygen for the fish

N

nereef

if your tape job is good enough to keep the bug bomb out, it's good enough to keep oxygen out. 15 hours might not be long enough to kill the fish, though. they are shipped in bags for that long.
if it were me, i'd syphon 3/4 of the water out and move the tank to another room. good luck.

sac10918

Could you put an airstone in your tank to bring oxygen in? Or would that bring in the chemicals too?
Also, I am in an entomology class (insect class) and we have to do a collection of insects and I really need a cockroach. Do you have any lying around that you could send to me? I know that thats a really strange question buy I thought I would ask anyways...

IMO, I would not bomb the house, there are other ways to get rid of roaches. I had the same problems with fleas and only bombed the rooms the tanks were not in with much caution ( lots of towels under doors & sealing the aqariums) Try getting some boric (sp.) acid and put it in jar lids under the fridge etc. Do a google search but do not bomb the room the tank is in.

hot883

I agree, to NOT bombing the house. I own a pest control company and all I have to say is this;
When you ignite a bomb in the house it will COVER everything with chemical, so now anything you touch will have poison on it. Everytime you vacumn you will be breathing in chemicals, everytime you touch the wall, you touch chemicals. Thats why professional pest management people are in business, because over the counter crap is just that, crap.

fishgeek01

agreed, dont bomb no good... will be bad for the tank over the next few months, like hot883 said it leaves a residue. it will be in your house for weeks if not months, look for alternatives

drewissett

Bug bomb will wreck your tank!!!
my friend seald off his freshwater tank like you, and everything died.
considering how much more sensative sw is, avoid it at all costs!!!

pohtr

I know several people who have had very good success with the roach motels. You have to use lots of them but its worth it. I wouldn't bomb either. There was a special on tv a long time ago about families whose houses had burned down from the excellerant (?) in the bombs (which is highly flammable) and because they had just left their homes (like you're supposed to do) they were under suspicion of arson. Scarey.

hot883

I tell my customers that sanitation is 90% of the problem usually. I am not saying that your house is not kept; but here are some examples to look for.
Roaches hangout in bathrooms and kitchens because thats where the protein is. Emaculant (sp) sanitation in the bathroom and also eliviate what they desire in the kitchen.
1. Potato bags
2. stacks of paper grocery sacks
3. boxed foods (they eat the glue on the boxes and bags listed above). Place boxed items in tupperware
4. Any spilled grease or splattered areas (consentrate efforts under sink and around stoves)

pohtr

I heard somewhere that one roach can live for a year off the glue on the back of one postage stamp. I'm not sure cleanliness is enough.