Robvia...question

jjboods

I have an Aquasafe 6 stage RO/DI unit...the 2006A, I think it's called. I saw that you have one also. Have you had any air algae problems since you bought it? I have hair algae and one LFS said to test for silicates, as well as phosphates and nitrates. I have a phosphate kit and if it is still working properly, my phosphates are zero. My nitrates are also reading zero. Have you tested for silicates? Do you know if your tap water has silicates?

robvia

I do not know if I have silicates. No way to test for them. I had a hair algae problem. It has seemed to go away as of recent. I still have high nitrates, but algae is much better. I was getting some red slime algae that I think was from phosphates. It is all gone now. About the same time I switched to RO/DI water I also added some snails and hermit crabs. It didn't go away overnight, but it has seemed to go away. I don't think the water did it all. As with almost all things in this hobby, it's a combination. You can't go wrong switching to RO/DI. If you tested your tap water you will find phosphates, nitrates, and algae spores. All thing you don't want in your tank. If you test the RO/DI water you will not have any of that. Make sure you put your filter in a place you can get to, and a place that won't mind some water. I have had those stupid push in 1/4 inch fitting blow the pipe out on me twice. Both times it was caused by me placing the pipe at the little bit of a bend coming out of the fitting. Plans are to tie the pipe in place so that doesn't happen again. I will do that when I pipe it to my fridge for clean ice cubes and chilled water. I mopped a half inch of water off my laundry room floor each time. The second time the dog was worried because her cage was starting to float. Give it a little time and try to change a lot of water at first. If you have silicates, water changes are probably the best way to get them out. 20% at a time if you can. Once a week or more if you want. After 2 to 3 changes you should see some improvement. I like the filter because it has and switch for backflushing the RO membrane. I think that is a really good feature and will make it last much longer. Let me know how it works.

jjboods

I've had the unit for about 2 months. No problems with lines blowing off. You should ask your LFS about a silicate test. One LFS near me has a test for silicates. Other than that, I think light coming in might be the problem. Maybe not a biog enough cleanup crew too.

robvia

I put 15 snails and 20 blue hermit crabs in my 90 gallon. If you have been or do some water changes, I would think you would remove or seriously dilute the silicates. To you have a TDS meter? I got one with my RO/DI system. Mine reads 1 on my RO water and about 60 on my tap water. You can't really hook the filter up wrong and get any water out. I'm pretty sure any water you are putting in has no silicates. If you are doing small (5% or so) water changes, try to do a couple larger ones. One 20% change will get out more toxins than four 5% changes. It probably took me a couple months to get rid of the hair algae. I also knocked if off and let it get into a filter pad somewhere and then cleaned the filter out. I have my canister setup so that I can move the intake around the tank and "vacuum" the tank. Then I clean out the sponge in the canister. I have also been using a product called Algone and one called Purigen. I don't think the Algone has done much for me. The Purigen I just started and it seems to be doing a little. I think the biggest was the snails, then the RO water, then the crabs. I don't think the addition of some more snails could hurt a tank. I would try that and some water changes, give it a month and see what happens. I would also say that I have never heard any one else talk about silicates. I have heard nitrates and phosphates. Maybe your area is know for having certain things in the tap water. RO never hurts and water changes never hurt. I would say 25% change as a max at one time. I have heard people say 50%, but I wouldn't do it. I would do 25% than wait about 3 days and do another 25%. Remember these are my opinions. Everyone has there own. I've only been doing this for about 8 months. I'm learning a lot also. Many people have these filters and many people have ways to help reduce algae. You might want to search some other threads and even post a thread that doesn't address me. Not that I don't want to help, because I do. Others that might have good suggestions for you, might not read this thread since it is addressed to me. And remember you will always have to weed through some bad ideas when you get many suggestions.

jjboods

I have posted, searched, researched, and read. I've had my tank for 3 years. This algae is a recent thing and I can't figure out what's causing it suddenly. I was just curious how your Aquasafe was doing because I don't have a TDS meter yet.

robvia

Sorry to hear of the sudden problem. What where you using before the Aquasafe filter? I guess you were buying water from somewhere? Mine has worked good for me. I was using tap water before, so there was a lot of room for improvement. If your nitrates are 0, I don't understand how you would get hair algae. I thought nitrates were the primary food source for hair algae. Are you getting water out your drain line when the filter is making water? It should put out 4 times what it makes in waste water. Did you try flushing the membrane? Does your LFS have a TDS meter you can take a sample and test? Did you run several gallons (at least 10) through the filter before you started using the water? Did you get extra filters with your system? Maybe try and replace the filters. Shouldn't need to, but you never know. At 2 months use, I would try and get the water tested before replacing any filters. Then you have something to compare to. Hard to believe the RO/DI would CAUSE you problems. These are the best ideas I have right now. Keep giving information and maybe we can find the problem.

jjboods

I am planning on having the water thoroughly tested this week. I am starting to think that the sunlight might be the cause. It isn't directly on the tank, but m ight be hitting it enough to cause the problem. Since my wife likes the light coming in, I'm going to build some covers that she can hang on the side and front during the 2-4 hours that the sun comes through the windows.

robvia

I would through a sheet over it for now if possible. If it is restricted to one area of the tank I would agree. I've always heard sunlight will really cause algae. Mine isn't in direct sunlight. Did you move the tank recently?

jjboods

I haven't moved it. But I haven't done anything else differently either. I had the lights off and it's been rainy and it seems to have slightly improved. After I get the water tested, if there is no issue there, I'll be more sure that it's the light.

robvia

Very nice. In a word, "mini-blinds." I turned my lights down to only 9 hours per day. Seems like if sunlight was getting to the tank in that room, it would be blinding anyone in the room. You could leave your light off for a day and then keep the time down, block sunlight if possible. I really would put up some blinds you could close. They are easy to turn so direct light doesn't come through, but the room is still bright. You could spin your house so that the light doesn't hit your tank.

sawillia

Sorry to butt in ... How old are you lights? I've read sevreal articles on shifted light emission ratios and algae growth over time...
I just replaced the VHOs and that with the changed light on schedule seems to be winning the battle...

jjboods

Bulbs are only a few months old. And I had the algae before...that was one of the things I did first...new bulbs.

robvia

I wish some others would butt-in. We've about run out of ideas.
Did you take some water to the LFS and get it tested?
Did you get the sunlight blocked?

jjboods

I had a wedding Sat and my son's B-day on Sun. Haven't done anything. I have another idea that I am going to research. When I replaced the bulbs, I bought Coralvues. They were about $30 cheaper than most...maybe there was a reason they are so cheap.

robvia

I would expect all to have the color specrum to grow algae. Lighting is very confusing to me, as a lot of people. So much out there and hard to get accurate information.

jjboods

I am really starting to think it's the bulbs...or at least one of them. The one on the right side of the tank isn't as white and that is the side with more algae.
Nothing else in the tank is different.