Rock Alternative

junior

I have been going to the lfs every pay day. Been buyiny this rock, that i have been using for base rock, Very pourios and neat shapes, and only cost $1.99 a pound and this rock is called Lace rock. Been doing this for 6 weeks now, Some weeks there not a very good selections, But for the most part, It is like going to the candy store, When growing up, My favorite rock weights 28 pounds, It has ledges coming off of it,And it has a opening, and it is a tunnel going through it. Very neat to watch the fish swim in and out of this tunnel, I have some more that i need to buy to finish the base, and then I will be done, And then it comes to buying the lighting system. Then I will purchases 20 lbs of live rock, Just wanted to pass this on, and would like to hear from anyone, that has done this.

Junior,
I've actually just recently done a similar thing, but I must agree with Sammy on this one. I bought some LR for about $2/lb about 2 weeks ago. It's actually Fiji, but there's absolutely no growth on it. I bought 30 lbs. of it to serve as a base for my 90 gallon. It was good to get some rock in the tank without breaking the bank, but I can see Sammy's point. I was fortunate enough to get a few hitchhiking crabs on my rock. At feeding time, they come out just far enough to wave these arm-like things with cilia type hairs on them to catch food that passes by. It's sad really, but I sit there and watch these little guys for 10 minutes at a time. I can't wait to get some real stuff. But that's being put off until I can get some good lighting in there. I want to be able to sustain whatever life is on the rock I get. There's little point in paying so much for the stuff if you can't keep everything possible alive. In the meantime, I think I'm going to get a live sand bed going. But that's another post...

junior

sammystingray, thank you for your comments, but I don't understand want you mean buy, this is the reef section.