rock from NC

camanuch

hey guys my mom just got back from our house in NC and found some great pieces of rock on the beach. i know its dry by now because its been out of water for close to 1 week. is it ok to use in my tank at home? also do i need to clean and cycle the rock? also would this be considered base rock now? thanks

L

lsu

I would not use it, no telling what types of pollutants it has been exposed to.

camanuch

what can i use to clean the rock before the cycle. like soak it is a bleach to water mixture. like 5:1 or 10:1. any input would be great.
here is what i was thinking.
soaking in bleach mixture for 1 week.
soaking in fresh water for 2 days then rinse
soaking in fresh water for 2 more days then rinse
soaking in fresh water for 3 more days then rinse again
then starting with cycling.
or is there a better way to totally clean and purify the rock.

blownz281

safest thing i could think of would be let it sit in a bucket of warm water with dawn soap. then wash it really well and maybe even boil it in a pan on low for awhile.

camanuch

i really dont mind it turning into base rock at all because its going to be going into an established tank. thanks for the advice.
anyone else with a different method?? or any experence with the way i mentioned or something similiar to that..

alix2.0

DEFINATELY wouldnt put dawn soap on it!!! bleach maybe & be really careful but definately not dish soap.

alix2.0

id do maybe 1 parts bleach to like 3-5 parts water. then soak it in regular water and let it air dry for a few days.

edit// note, bleaching still may not pull out some pollutants, like if there was copper in the rock, it wont take that out. use your best judgement.

camanuch

well its going into a FOWLR tank. a little copper wont really do much dammage. so i dont need to go as crazy as i had listed??

N

nyyank

Originally Posted by camanuch
http:///forum/post/2586520
well its going into a FOWLR tank. a little copper wont really do much dammage. so i dont need to go as crazy as i had listed??
A little copper is toxic to whatever LR you have---IMO you should never put things found on the beach in a DT regardless of how nice they look.
Good LR is collected WAY offshore.

teresaq

I have used a few pieces from the beach. I bleached them, boiled them, declorinated them, then cycled them. They have been in my tank for 2 yrs
T

camanuch

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2587370
I have used a few pieces from the beach. I bleached them, boiled them, declorinated them, then cycled them. They have been in my tank for 2 yrs
T
what was the process of boiling and declorinating?