rockwork help

lions_den

i have been thinking about redoing my rock work because i want it to look more like a reef than just rocks layed out across the tank..
i was reading a thread on the site with pics of a guy who did a pvc structure with eggcrate and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on it.
i will probably need to get more live rock but for the mean time, any advice about how to build it or anything would be great.
if you want to see a pic, just tell me how to upload it on the site and i will

thanks for the help
Mike

sk8shorty01

If you want it to look the most natural, I would look for a good picture of a reef online (or if you have one that you took that is your favorite). Just try to replicate what the reef looks like in the picture (most of them look like shelves, rather than a wall of intricately stacked rock). That is what I did and I think it turned out pretty good.
As far as posting a picture on here, there are some people that use a hosting site like photobucket, but you can also use this site. if you click on the "post reply" icon under the last post it will bring you to a new window. In this new window you will have an area to type your post, then below that you will see an icon that says "manage attachments". When you click this it will bring up another window where you can browse your computer for the picture you want to upload. Also, just so you know, there are size restrictions which I believe are 650x650.

lions_den

my rock looks wierd for some reason but thats the tankkk
in the right corner, i wanted to do the pvc structure like a have circle cave or something and something little on the other side

sk8shorty01

The only problem I can see with your rock work is it looks like the rock is touching the glass at both ends. Is there good water flow behind these rocks or is there a dead area for stagnant water? This is something you want to take into consideration when you are doing your aquascaping, because dead spots breed nitrates. You also want to make sure that you can clean the glass if those are visible sides of the tank.
It looks pretty good though, other than the things I mentioned above.

tj51

I read an article in one of the fish mags concerning what you wish to accomplish. It was/is called "framing." Maybe you can google it up

drex

im not totally done i still have some small stuff to do something with..but here is my new setup i just did about an hour ago for my new SPS /clams etc setup. high up so the lights hit it decent and lots of room still for everyone to swim and alot of room at the bottom to put low light corals and clams etc.
sorry its still a little cloudy! i had to show off the cave i made on the end in my second pic

lions_den

thanks for the replys
i have been having a nitrate problem...
but the LFS told me its probably because i feed the antenatas live food?
and i posted another thread about the filter bag over my return where i "thought" my eel went down but then figured he couldnt get past the pump.
should i take the filter bag off the return?
i was looking and i think he wiggled through a space between the overflow black thing and my glass lid and then probably went dow n the pipe that leads to the sump, i dont have a filter pad over it, so he probably just slipped down it.

lions_den

Originally Posted by drex
http:///forum/post/2559189
im not totally done i still have some small stuff to do something with..but here is my new setup i just did about an hour ago for my new SPS /clams etc setup. high up so the lights hit it decent and lots of room still for everyone to swim and alot of room at the bottom to put low light corals and clams etc.
sorry its still a little cloudy! i had to show off the cave i made on the end in my second pic

nice job with the cave

lions_den

i have a sump
i have a Rio 1100 and a Rio mini 200 i think it is or a Rio 90
The antenatas eat ghost shrimp
the volitans eat krill and silversides
and the white cheek moray eats mostly silversides
2 times a week and usually saturday or sunday

drex

i would say yes, but im not a total expert. just figured i would give you my opinion so atleast someone answered you. haha hope that helps.

lions_den

lol
yeah thanks
i took it off, i don't see how he could have gone down it and not have got cut up in the pump.
he must have wiggled through another area..