Rose anenome and lighting

woodwalker

I have a 55 gallon reef tank with compact flourecents. 2 65w 10,000k
and 2 6500 actinic. Is this light sufficient for a rose anenome? I always get tripped up when it comes to the lights..

btldreef

Honestly, I don't think it will be enough long term.
I had a Rose in my 14G BioCube under PC's for awhile and it did okay, but started to loose coloration after awhile. I moved it into my 155G w/ Halides and the thing just came to life, colors popped, etc.
A regular BTA might be fine, but rose BTA's (RBTAs) generally require more light, especially if you plan to keep the really vibrant red color. They'll dull out to a brown under lower lighting and usually will eventually just melt away and toxify the tank.

woodwalker

I fear what you say is true. Maybe I can sneak another light under my hood and make this rose happy. Why does salt, light and electricity make us happy.

btldreef

If you could squeeze another light and keep it up really high, you might be okay. Try to find one that has been kept under T5's or PC's if you can, which isn't easy since most LFS's keep their anemones under halides :-(
Anything can be done, I have a Maxima Clam in my biocube under PC's and it's flourishing. I actually raise them in there and then sell them when they get too big, people go crazy for a Maxima that was raised under PC's, because then they can put it in a tank that doesn't have 50000watts of Halides, LOL.
I just noticed that over time my RBTA got really gross looking under PC's and honestly, I think it would have died if I hadn't moved it to ther other tank. I'd try to squeeze another bulb or two in there if you can, maybe even a T5 if possible?