??? Rose Anenome ?????

ebsochin

When a rose anenome is getting ready to split does it look like the body is tearing?

Here are 2 pics I was able to get. Please let me know what you guys think. I have had anenomes before but never had one split...so I really need to know what is going on. Help please.

viper_930

From the pics it looks like it may be trying to split. You'd know for certain by morning. How long have you had it? What type of lights is it under?

kcarr

Had one that started to split but I forgot about my chocolate chip starfish and I found it trying to eat it while it was splitting and killed it. I found this link that has some good pics of this guys rose splitting take a look www.melevsreef.com/pics/0304/bta_split.html. He documented they whole event. Hope it helps.

ebsochin

ViPeR_930 - KCarr Thanks for your answers. It looks as if you were right. I woke up this morning to 2 anenomes. :jumping: :cheer:
Wow that was fast. KCarr thanks so much for that link! That was some awesome documentation of everything. I was very interested in the fact that they do this during the lights out because that is exactly what mine did. I never realized how fast they do this. It took only about 10 hours for this to occur.
I no have 2 large anenomes and one looks like a 3/4 anenome. I'll try and get some pictures of them later when the lights come on. Man this rocks! The only thing that worries me now is the fact that I don't want them to take over the tank and kill the other corals. We'll see what happens.
Oh yeah, ViPer_930 I have had this anenome for about 4 months under 1140W of light, 4 160W VHO and 2 250 W 10K Ushio double end halides.
Thanks again for your help, I guess I was going nuts last night when I saw it...it freeked me out a little...thought the anenome was disintegrating or something had tried to eat it or something.

ebsochin

Well I finally got some pictures of the new addition as well as the other half. Thought I would share with others. The original anenome looks a little off because half the mouth is missing but hopefully it will heal up nicely. I can't tell if the new clone is the same way as the mouth area is snuggled inside a crevice.
Let me know what you guys and gals think. I am so stoked that there are 2 now!!!!!

1st pic is the two of them.
2nd and 3rd pic are of the original anenome
4th is of the clone
5th pic is the two of them again