rose bubble tip and its bubbles question

relaxn79

I got a fairly large bubble tip anemone. I would say its about the size of an average adult hand. I don't understand what causes the bubbles to inflate as a normal bubble tip and what causes it to strech and look like skinny
:notsure:
i got 40 gallon tank
40 lbs live rock
50 lbs live sand
8.2 ph,
nitrate, nitrite, ammonia all zero
calciam at 450ish
i got 10k and aquatic lights
Ive heard they bubble up cuz they are closer to light, or they are over feed but also I've heard this is also the opposite. :help: :help: :help:

dogstar

I dont think anyone knows for sure but IMO they bubble up for protection like when they feel threatened or stressed. When relaxed they thin out.

granny

My invert book states that the BTA will stretch out searching for food. My personal experience is that a BTA with adequate light and filtration does not get 'skinny arms'
Yes it reaches out whenever I feed the tank, then gathers in to eat, then settles down with pretty little bubbles all over it until it gets hungry again.
INadequate light and aeration can both cause a perpetual thinness inthe tentacles, but occasional stretching out and reflexing are natural.
Feed it something specifically for the BT and see what the reaction is. It should fold it TENT in, bubble the stem or foot out, then afterwards settle into a more compact, bubble form.

relaxn79

I'm afraid to feed it too much cuz I fed a bulb anemone and it turned really ugly. Split like 2 weeks ago and still looks like crap. I have a much smaller anemone and it looks really nice but to small for my clown. I also ran my fingers across the whole bulb anemone to see its stickyness.
That may be why it looks like crap cuz I probably took all its energy.

T

thomas712

With 940 watts of lights and many, many BTA's I can tell you I don't know why they get bubbles on some and not on others. I have them with bubbles and without right next to each other.
No one knows
.......maybe the shadow knows