Rotting spot on Brain Coral

kat 4

Help - I have a spot (about 1")on a large brain coral ( puffy kind) that is rotting. Would an iodine dip help or is there anything I can do? Thanks for any help you can give me,

jt101

Hi Kat4,
Sorry to hear about that. I had one that seemed fine in the LFS but a day after I bought it I noticed a white "glob" that just kept spreading and spreading until the skeleton became exposed, at that point it seemed like it was over so I tossed it. I guess what I am trying to say is that brain corals are very hardy as long as they are intact. Once they have any kind of injury on them they seem to go downhill fast. Wish I had better news for you. I guess you could try the iodine dip anyway.

ric maniac

Before we can help we need more info, what are your exact water parameters, how long have you had the brain coral, and what other coral do you have?

kat 4

It's an Open Green Brain Coral - puffs up during the day. We have a 75 gallon reef- established for 2 years. Had the coral about 9 months.
Salt - 1.024
PH 8
Alk-11
Phos -Lo
Temp- 75-78
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
We keep a close eye on our water daily - did have nitrates go up to about 50 but thru water changes have it down now.
We have metal halide lighting and PC - corallife aqualight pro
29 gallon sump with cheato, mangroves
We just lost a hammer - looks like somebody munched on it- I'm suspecting our coral banded shrimp.

ric maniac

Well, this is a hard coral to frag but it can be done. Either you could take a tile saw and saw it in half or fourths. Then they will grow into 2 or 4 brain corals. Or you could try to cut out the infected area with a very sharp exacto knife. I would suggest trying the second one first, if that doesn't heal then go with the tile saw.

kat 4

Gee - iodine sounded so simple. I'll get my husband to "frag" it - it doesn't hurt to try. - there's so many corals - many something stung it...

nycbob

i bought a open brain 5 weeks ago, and the same thing happen. i left it alone and now its thriving. it is slowly growing back the flesh it lost. i'd say leave it alone since its already stressed. give it good light and flow.