Royal Gramma and Blackcap Basslet together

dkw27

I have a 125 gallon tank and I already have a Royal Gramma, among several other fishes....Anyway, I want to add a juvi Blackcap Basslet and from what I've been reading, they can do well together....Anyone have both in their tank? My royal is a new fish, just added on 8-20-07....

sepulatian

Originally Posted by dkw27
I have a 125 gallon tank and I already have a Royal Gramma, among several other fishes....Anyway, I want to add a juvi Blackcap Basslet and from what I've been reading, they can do well together....Anyone have both in their tank? My royal is a new fish, just added on 8-20-07....
They can both be quite nasty to others. They are worse toward their own kind. In a 125, if you have quite a bit of rock then they should be ok. They are both inteligent and will know exactly where the other is at. You should not see much fighting (no promises though). Be sure to introduce the new one at the other end of the tank.

dkw27

Originally Posted by sepulatian
They can both be quite nasty to others. They are worse toward their own kind. In a 125, if you have quite a bit of rock then they should be ok. They are both inteligent and will know exactly where the other is at. You should not see much fighting (no promises though). Be sure to introduce the new one at the other end of the tank.
I've read where you can keep them with groups, and I've read on here where it says don't mix basslets, but it always seems to depend on the individual tank and fish...By this weekend, I will have about 220 lbs of LR and the RG is a new addition to the tank too, it's only been in the tank a few days, so I'm hoping he should be fine when I introduce the blackcap...There are plenty of hiding spots in the tank...If it doesn't go well, I will take him back to the LFS, but I'm hoping it will work out...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by sepulatian
No promises from me either. A gray area, but I think you'll be ok--given the room you have.

dkw27

Drip acclimated the Blackcap and put him in the tank about 2 hours ago, he disappeared behind the rocks and hasn't been seen since...I'm sure he's just scared and needs some time to adjust, everyone else in the tank is going along as usual....The royal gramma came out within minutes when it was introduced into the tank, but so far, the blackcap is a ghost...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by dkw27
Drip acclimated the Blackcap and put him in the tank about 2 hours ago, he disappeared behind the rocks and hasn't been seen since...I'm sure he's just scared and needs some time to adjust, everyone else in the tank is going along as usual....The royal gramma came out within minutes when it was introduced into the tank, but so far, the blackcap is a ghost...

Not unusual; give him time. Drip acclimation is really the way to, good luck.

dkw27

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Not unusual; give him time. Drip acclimation is really the way to, good luck.
Well, it's been about 5 hours since the BC basslet was put into the tank and I still haven't seen it...I'm a little worried, hope it's just being shy...Maybe it will come out when the white light goes off and the blue light comes on, could be a little too bright for it to feel safe right now....

dkw27

I'm so excited, I finally saw my first glance of the bc basslet since he was introduced to the tank on Friday....He won't come out from his little rock cave, but at least I finally saw him...Hopefully, he will actually come out of his hiding spot and swim around with the other fish....I'm relieved he's alive, I was beginning to think the worst....

Chriscol001

Black cap basslet is a very shy deep water fish so you won't see him much. They like darker spots around the tank. My Royal Gramma is very social and gets along with my other fish (cinnamon clown and Rock Wrasse) great. He is interested in the black cap but they have kinda just done their own thing. The BC has better, more striking color but the Gramma is out more. I am hoping that they hang out more together and my BC is bigger so he probably won't get bullied much. My cinnamon clown has his anenome which he protects.