Royal Gramma question?

lkb3493

Well,
I tested my water yesterday after setting up my tank and letting it cycle awhile. The water looked good to me but I still took it to my LFS to test for me. They said it looked perfect and I could add fish.
Well, I really wasn't planning on it yet so I just bought a shrimp (sorry forgot the name- not a cleaner they were out but it is maybe a pepermint one) :thinking: and a Royal Gramma. My quesiton is that the Royal Gramma has holed itself up in a cave in my live rock and I haven't seen her since. Is this normal? I know this fish is shy but does it ever come out? I am also concerned because I can't tell if it is dead or not either...This is my first saltwater tank and my first fish....Any suggestions?

pchromis

Providing you acclimated it properly, many new fish when first introduced still take time adapting to the new water and environment.

lkb3493

Does that mean that once it is used to its surroundings this type of fish will come out and swim? I know they are shy so I was wondering if they just holed themselves up or if they came out to play?

schunior

I also have just added a royal gramma to my new cycled tank and it does the same thing. I have read that it is completely normal for them to be shy and that they will find a cave they like and it make it their home. Mine jets back in everytime I get near they tank, but if I stand back a little, after a couple of minutes will come back out and start exploring. Beautiful fish.

lkb3493

How long did it take for yours to come out? I got mine yesterday afternoon. Haven't seen it since. Hubby said he saw a flash of it in the live rock last night. Just was wondering if this is normal or if the fish is dead? I am hoping it takes a few days or something....Hopefully the fish is a-ok...