Royal gramma rubbing on rocks.

javajoe

I have noticed that my royal gramma will rub himself on the rocks from time to time,. he has NO symptoms of ich, other than that. NOo white spots, no gu;ping ro anything else taht would make me think he is not healthy. He also eats really well, and is very active. I have noticed that he does this MAINLY when either the 2 perc clowns or my sally lightfoot get too close to him. He does that 'open mouth threatening thing' and he then swims really fast and starts rubbing against rocks. It is almost like he is just showing agression.
Has anyone seen a royal gramma do this? i have been searching all over the internet for reports of this type of behavior from gramma and cannot find anything. On a side note, he does get along very well with the 2 clowns- they stay in the same corner of the tank, and very rarley get into tiffs- they even swim together from time to time. quite intersting, as i have not seen a gramma be this tolerant of other fish. He gets scared though when the lawnmower blenny swims over head, but when he quick swims under hsi rock, the blenny gets scared and hides too! scittish little guy!

vkesu

On the safety side, I'd start feeding your fish garlic soaked food if your not already.
If he only does it near the crab or clowns it could be a submissive action also?

javajoe

he dose only do it when there are other fish or the crab around- and it is always after he tries to scare them off.

javajoe

He has stopped doing it-- i think he was just adjusting to his envirnioent, establishing his turf-- he been normal since yesterday afternoon...
thanks