Royal Gramma swimming upside down!

dcox88

I have had this fish for 1 week and he has taken to a hiding spot in a cave in my LR. He has started venturing out more and I have noticed he spends most of hit time swimming upside down!!! He appears to have no problems - is eating well, etc. Could he just be disoriented?

mynfel

Strangely enough, I was going to post here about the same thing myself...I got my fish last Friday - it hangs up near the top of the tank and swims either on its side or upside down. It seems to be eating just fine.
I know the other fish picked on him a little when I first put him in there, but they seem to be ignoring him now.
How odd!

grayne

My Royal Gramma seems to swim with a 45 degree tilt a lot of the time. I do not think there is anything wrong with it because when it is feeding or hovering around its cave it swims upright. Must just be something that the fish does???

donkeykong

I was watching a nature show on the ocean. I saw a group of gramma's hanging around under some live rock and they all were swimming upside down.

dcox88

I did a search on the net and found several sites that say that upside down is the Royal Gramma's natural swimming position. It parks itself upside down around ledges and shelves.