Royal Gramma... the new Howard Hughes?

Got my new RG's today (one big, one small). After acclimating them I released them into the tank and naturally they scurried behind my rock... that was 9 hours ago.
I did read that they stay close to their covering so that they can dart back in case of emergency.
However, the large one has chosen an opening in the back of the rock.
So my question is... did I just purchase the most reclusive fish in the sea?

Guess I'm a little lost.. they were shipped together (actually saw them when they arrived at my friends LFS), held in the same tank with no other inhabitants together, they were in the same 20g tank for 2 weeks QT together...
Research says that two can be held in the same tank together if one is larger and that they will mate in captivity.
So at what point do they go homicidal and kill each other? Not trying to be wisea$$ but if these two have been together this long with zero signs of nipping or stress why wouldn't I keep them together?

culp

some people have some luck with keeping two or more in the same tank. the guy who works at my LFS as 5 of them in a 300 gallon tank and he says they spend most of the time together. but its important to have a big enough tank to allow them get away from each other if they begin to fight.

shyfish

Hi,
Don't stand so close to the tank, it freaks them out. If you just sit near by to watch, the fish will swim around and be happy. They hide at any sudden movment.
I put a purple firefish in with my Royal Gramma, and it went around making ugly faces at it. I think the RG saw a purple face and thought it was another RG. I am certian another RG would have been toast if I had more than one.
Some way, some how they mate, so there has to be two that can get along... So if you have two that don't fight thats great, hope it lasts.

gmann1139

RG's can be very hermit-like when they first arrive. Mine didn't come out for about a week.
Once they feel comfortable, you'll see them more.
Just try to get one good look a day, to check for disease.