Royal Gramma

ddiaz386

So i bought a royal gramma yesterday, when i put him in the tank he swam straight into a cave i have in my tank. Question do these fish always stay in caves he has been down their since yesterday and barely moves, but he looks fine, i tried feeding him today some mysis shrimp but i had to put them close to the cave and he swam out and ate it
does anybody have experience with these fish my parameters are fine and this is a 8 gallon tank with only one other fish a false perc, the false perc does not seem to be harassing it

florida joe

they will stay close to rockwork, having had and killed many i can say IMO they are not open swimmers

lietz06

My parents have one in their 90 gallon. They said it stays in the rockwork quite a bit. I'm sure the reason he hasn't come out a lot is bc he's so new...new fish will hide for the first few days. Give him a few days and I'm sure he'll explore a lil...but they do hide in the rockwork quite a bit.

spanko

Here is some info from our friend Mr. Fenner. Joe this diddy about selection and collection maybe something that you ahve run into with your inability to keep them.
"The single most important 'tip' on picking Grammas I can grant you is to be patient; wait a good week or two after your supplier receives theirs to purchase them.
Freshly imported caught specimens way too often suffer from post-decompression stress... and something else; the ill-effects of chemical tranquilizing. Florida outlaws the use of Quinaldine and MS-222 (tricaine) but their use in other capture areas of the Caribbean is pervasive. Though not the scourge of cyanide use, there is decidedly higher mortalities associated with true anesthetic versus 'pure' hand netting.
How to tell which type of capture technique has been used? You can't; just wait for a week or two. Trust me.
Grammas live close by their nooks and crannies, upside down, right side up, at all angles. They prefer as much decor, broken up environment as possible, as well as low illumination.
These fishes make great additions for reef tanks, staying small, not bothering invertebrates, and keeping deviant live rock critters, like benthic crustaceans and worms in population check.
Grammatids make great bioassay organisms for an individual system or store on mixed tank recirculation. Talk about "a canary in a cave"; their color and behavior fades with diminishing water quality. Water changing, reducing organic loads, re-elevating pH can be physically correlated with their observable health."

ddiaz386

oh well at least my false perc is a open swimmer
thanx alot i thought somethin was wrong with him, but he is eating fine and acting normal from waht i hear from you guys and florida joe you said you have killed many?

florida joe

florida joe you said you have killed many?
My whole screen name is Florida Joe the RG killer
Joe this diddy about selection and collection maybe something that you ahve run into with your inability to keep them.
you may be right Henry as I lost all but one while in QT

luvmyreef

I can tell you from my experience...I recently added one of these (oh yes...the tang left him alone) and mine did the same thing. It did take about a week before he came out. He actually swims around a fair amount of the time, and he actually tries to spar with my purple firefish!!! It's hilarious...the firefish just ignores him...haha

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by ddiaz386
http:///forum/post/3146797
cant wait till the little fella comes out the cave i love his colors

Oh Yeah!!!
Wait til you see it under the actinics!!!! It hurts your eyes!!! Beautiful fish!!!
You will luv it...

stanlalee

Originally Posted by ddiaz386
http:///forum/post/3146662
So i bought a royal gramma yesterday, when i put him in the tank he swam straight into a cave i have in my tank. Question do these fish always stay in caves he has been down their since yesterday and barely moves, but he looks fine, i tried feeding him today some mysis shrimp but i had to put them close to the cave and he swam out and ate it
does anybody have experience with these fish my parameters are fine and this is a 8 gallon tank with only one other fish a false perc, the false perc does not seem to be harassing it
this is exactly how they acclimate to a new tank (in a rock upside down only occasionally darting out for food or the couple second exploration right outside the hole they are in). If it isn't harrassed by tankmates or too much meddling by you within a few days it will come out hovering close to the crevice in the rock where it can and will dart back into as needed. within a few weeks it will be out almost all the time but still by its comfort zone. within a few months it will be out all the time. a little after that it will even venture all over the tank in search for food but still spend most of its time hovering around its comfort spot. By this time during feeding it wont be shy at all dashing all over place and waiting at the top for you to throw in more. they dont hide much at all once acclimated and once they've done so they can even hold their own against bolder bigger fish. if they arent allowed to acclimate peacefully intitially they may never come out or survive long.

srfisher17

I can't imagine a RG and an ocellaris clown in an 8 gal tank. Both are somewhat territorial fish and there isn't nearly enough room for 2 territories. Just one of these fish is more than plenty for an 8 gal tank.

matth2181

i just got a royal gramma myself, he was swimming around in the open with my other clown and damsel in my tank as soon as i added him, and he ate literally 15 minutes later when i put food in... my lfs only buys fish from particular trappers that do not use chemicals or dynamite for capturing, and they are very careful not to tank fish or other organisms that are caught this way. in turn their fish are sometimes a little more expensive... by like 5 bucks, but its well worth it, every thing i have bought from them is in great shape and eats right away and doesnt hide and hasnt died (knock on wood). so youll want to ask your lfs who they get their fish from.

rlablan

I don't see an issue with space or anything like that with the perc and gramma. While I was transitioning, my perc and gramma had to live in a 5 gallon and they were happy as a clam.
if you have a young RG, (an inch or around there)... they are REALLY shy. They will be until they are a bit older and but some size on. My RG was one of my first fish and is incredibly hardy. He is upside down, in the front of the tank, swimming about and he loves my angel and my clowns. Great community fish and a staple, IMO.

flower

Originally Posted by MattH2181
http:///forum/post/3148437
i just got a royal gramma myself, he was swimming around in the open with my other clown and damsel in my tank as soon as i added him, and he ate literally 15 minutes later when i put food in... my lfs only buys fish from particular trappers that do not use chemicals or dynamite for capturing, and they are very careful not to tank fish or other organisms that are caught this way. in turn their fish are sometimes a little more expensive... by like 5 bucks, but its well worth it, every thing i have bought from them is in great shape and eats right away and doesnt hide and hasnt died (knock on wood). so youll want to ask your lfs who they get their fish from.

The damsel will kill the Gramma and maybe the clown. They are just babies right now.

matth2181

na have had the damsel for a month and it was terrorized by a pseudo i had, mainly why i got rid of it, the damsel is an azure damsel (blue but with yellow on the bottom running back to his tail, this site doesnt have one), less aggressive then most damsels, my lfs keeps em with other fish in their display tanks, and have been for 21 years. hes a big wimp, clown chases him away every now and then and he runs away from any sudden movement by any other fish or invert. im not worried. thanks tho

ddiaz386

well the fish is doing ok he comes out all day now and only hides at night, the perc and the royal gramma get along just fine, before i put the royal gramma in i move the rocks arounds and both the perc and gramma have their own territories and they are usually always swimming toghether
i will try to post pics, so far they get along just fine and he is eating anything i put in their especially the mysis shrimp

novahobbies

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3146701
My whole screen name is Florida Joe the RG killer

LOL my Mobsters account name, back when I played the silly thing, was "RG Whacker" I've iced three grammas. Not buyin' another one.

rlablan

How do you guys keep killing grammas? Mine was one of my first fish and he has suffered through all of my newbie blunders. He has seen some things.... haha And he is still alive! He is my hardiest fish!