Royal Gramma

carvainw

I am interested in getting a royal gramma but have heard that they can be aggressive. Is this true? In reality I am looking for a smaller purple fish. If a RG isn't the best option, what else should I consider? Thanks I currently only have a jawfish and am considering a Flame Angel

scubamedic

I like my tank raised orchid dottyback. (Pseudochromis fridmani)
He has a very nice purple color to him. He is also easy to take care of. He is not aggressive at all. I only have 2 other true percs in the tank though and both are bigger than him.

ophiura

Pseudos can get some attitude as well, though color wise they would fit the bill. Carvainw, how big is your tank?

scubamedic

Thats why I buy the tank raised when possible. I think it helps out alot with the aggresion. Of course tank raised also has all the other many benefits.

carvainw

Its only a 30 high, so thats why I am trying to remain within my limits. I have been doing this awhile and know that all that is said in this message board is true with respect to which fish will and wont work.
I saw an orchid dottyback and its beautiful but it was around 45 bucks so too much. I will keep looking for a nice cheap small purple fish. Thanks.

cap'n pete

I've never really had any problems with Grammas being overly aggresive. I've had mine with clowns and pygmy angels and they get along. There will be an initial disliking but they always turn out fine. The one I have now hardly ever hides and actually hung out with my clown (who disappeared yesterday :( ). I say get one and see. They are very cool fish. If it's an established tank you can always rearrange some rocks to make the playing field level so to speak.

maryc137

I have 2 Royal Grammas now and they think they are pretty hot stuff. I've never seen them actually bite anything, but when they want to throw their weight around, they just go up to whatever it is they want to boss, and open their mouth wide. Maybe they're yelling at them, I don't know. But it doesn't hurt anything.

I would like to get a Royal gramma when my tank gets set up, they are so pretty! But also, I was thinking of getting a couple of blue chromises, will they get along, or will t hey kill each other? :confused:

danrw84

Pseudos are a lot more aggressive then the royal gammas, which tend to be pretty friendly
a buddy of mine has got one and it gets along great with his other tankmates
go with a royal g, they are really cool looking and pretty docile
good luck