Rtn!

marvida

I came in to work this AM to find a monti cap frag looking like this. Thursday evening it was OK. The entire thing was orange then. I'm going to try to frag it but I don't think there's enough left to salvage. I've had the frag for 6 weeks. What a bummer.

marvida

The tank's 2 years old. It's a ten gallon with 150w MH. Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate are all zero. SG is 1.24, cal is 450 alk is 1.7 meq.

marvida

The algae isn't as bad as it looks, I just changed lights 6-7 weeks ago & about 2 weeks ago my emerald died. The frag was in a hard to clean corner of the tank. I just put another crab in there to clean up. I have one powerhead in the tank that had gotten so covered in coraline that it's flow was cut at least in half. I tore it down last week & flow is much improved. Alk has always been a problem, I can't seem to get it where I want it. I top off with kalk at 1 tsp per gallon. Approx. 2.5 gallons per week are lost to evaporation.
Oh yeah, I do a half gallon water change twice a week. Normally I do one but since the algae bloom I've doubled.

marvida

Up until 6 weeks ago I just had one unknown acro frag. Then I got two small moti cap frags and a digi. The digi's grown about an inch on all branches & the green/purple cap has grown about an inch in diameter. The orange one hasn't grown much at all. Anyway, since I've put these things in there, maintaining both calcium & alk levels have been a challenge.

marvida

I had not thought of the evap. rate. When I had a 70w MH on this tank the fan was directed at the water's surface. The evap. rate then was 3.5 to 4 gallons per week. Now with the 150 I "improved" the air flow using 3 fans to move air out of the hood with none of them blowing on the water. The temp. holds steady at 82F. I guess I need to seriously rethink calcium & alk. replacement.