Rtn

kogle

I bought a bright blue acro with purple tips last Friday. Last night around 9 pm I noticed it was RTN'ing on one of the stalks from the top down. I fragged the entire branch off that was RTN'ing and disposed of it.
The only thing I could think of that would cause this is the lugols i dipped it in or the fact it got knocked over into the sand for a day.
Anyone know what causes RTN from the top down or bottom up for that matter?

gatorwpb

theres so many causes of RTN and some are still unknown. usually they are caused by poor water quality or temperature. It can also be from poor acclimation, shock from shipping, or chemical warfare with other corals.
In your case, it could be the lugol's or having been left in the sand for a day. if you didnt see any more flesh coming off the coral, you probably could have left the piece on there and it would have grown back over the skeleton.

kogle

I fragged what I could on this coral and it was showing signs of improvement. Last week my controller took a crap and casued my heater to go on the fritz. The tank got too warm and I lost the rest of this acro. All of the other ones look good and are spreading. Guess it was still in a weakened state from the first bout of RTN. Man I hate RTN.

steelytom

My fan did not kick on a couple weeks ago when it was warm out and my water went from 80 to 86 and I have had four acros rtn. The odd thing was some did not rtn until almost two weeks later. Seems to me that you really need to keep everything extrememly stable (temp, alk, calc, ph) and keep nutrient low things will do good. Well, there is the pest thing, but that is a different problem. I have only been able to save one acro that started to rtn. Seems like for me, once they start it is over.