rubbermaid tubs for sump/fuge?

devaji108

has anyone out there ever made a sump/fuge out of a 50 gal. rubermaid tub?
the kind you would get at HD, lowes or wal-mart?
any pro/con for using them
anyfeed back would be great.
thanks

bullitr

tried it b4 work for a little bit but i dont recommend it for long term. it bends , crack and leaks. imo spend it on a nice sump its worth it

kzoo

You can use them but there are thicker or thiner ones, the thick ones are what you want. Also there are truck storage containers(plastic) that work good they hold about 75gall of water.One thing about this hobby is IT IS NOT CHEAP but ther are lots of ways to save money if you are handy.

sly

Originally Posted by bullitr
tried it b4 work for a little bit but i dont recommend it for long term. it bends , crack and leaks. imo spend it on a nice sump its worth it
Agreed. They will fail over time. Your best option is to do it right.

devaji108

yea I was thinking one of those think one. like ppl use for live stock ect.
I have a 240 with around 200-300# of LR and 150 ish # of LS and a 30 ish gal sump sump.
I was thinking I would be nice to add some more h2o volume and a fuge to the system.
IF anyone out there has pices of a set up ke this plz post them.
thanks

sly

Cheap little 10 gallon tanks make great refugiums. What size do you need? Is that too small? How about a 55 gal tank from someone's yard sale? People these days are giving them away...

natureboy

I have been told that they are not suitable for a fuge because they absorb a lot of stuff out of your water. Not that this is a bad thing in itself, but they can also release all of the stuff that they have been absorbing at once causing chemical/ph imbalances or other bad things. I thought it would work fine but the guys at the lfs said no.

bojik

Originally Posted by Sly
Cheap little 10 gallon tanks make great refugiums. What size do you need? Is that too small? How about a 55 gal tank from someone's yard sale? People these days are giving them away...
yea no kidding. like $125 for a FULL salt setup 55 gal. Got to love people deperate to be rid of things they don't want to move.

dieselndix

just FYI
I had a rubbermaid sump that worked perfectly for 6 months....then came downstairs one morning and heard a terrible noise.
It was my return pump burning up because the sump developed a small crack and had leaked all the water out onto the floor....
not fun!
but I searched around on my local reef forum and found a guy that custom built me one out of acrylic for a very reasonable price.....i would go that route