Rules on Stocking?

christinaja

I know people are always arguing over "rules" for stocking marien aquariums, and then of course it can depend on what fish you plan to keep also.
Soo I have a 55 gal, and I made a list of what fish I would maybe like to keep, but I know I definately can't fit them all in there :p
But I've heard I should only keep 11" of fish (1" of fish per 5 gal rule) but also I've heard that I can keep 27 1/2" of fish
Obviously, there is a big difference between those "stocking rules" but what are your opinions?

deejeff442

that rule might have applied a little 20 yrs ago when there was next to no filtration and crummy skimmers.
it really comes down to filtration and swimming room for fish.
what do you have for live rock,filter and skimmer?
do you have a sump for more water volume?
all of these come into play.
that rule of 1 inch per 5 gallon or what ever it is doesnt apply anymore.

arvins

Christinaja I to have a 55 gallon tank and we are planning on six fish of various sizes though that may be cut back to five. Came to this decision based on the following:
Skimmer is rated for a 120 gallon tank
90lbs of Live Rock
Adding a 20 Gallon Sump ASAP
I really didn't go by inches of fish so much as each time I have added a fish so far I've watched it for several weeks. I make sure that the tank can handle the additional load I put on it, now I'm only up to three fish but so far have detected zero changes in anything. My CUC and Filtration are keeping up great....That said if you're planning on big fish i.e. Triggers, Tangs etc I'd say that you will be able to have less fish.
But really just add them slowly, moniter your readings and evaluate your equipment, if it can keep up then great if not just cut back on your livestock and add other stuff coral, shrimp (if you don't plan on anything that will make sushi of them), etc...That said I don't think I would put more then 6 in a 55 gallon tank no matter how good my filtration was

flower

Originally Posted by Christinaja
http:///forum/post/3069781
I know people are always arguing over "rules" for stocking marien aquariums, and then of course it can depend on what fish you plan to keep also.
Soo I have a 55 gal, and I made a list of what fish I would maybe like to keep, but I know I definately can't fit them all in there :p
But I've heard I should only keep 11" of fish (1" of fish per 5 gal rule) but also I've heard that I can keep 27 1/2" of fish
Obviously, there is a big difference between those "stocking rules" but what are your opinions?

My tank is a show piece and the focus for the living room. An overcrowded tank that is working alive like maggots does not in my opinion look good. I know the new filters allow for more fish, but more isn't always best.
My advice is to arrange some nice rock work. Choose your fish for color and compatibility, but just a few for movement, and beauty. Have a nice light system with those nice blue hues. Always be very picky about the fish you choose.
Overcrowding causes fish to stress, and stess causes health problems for your fish, and sick fish causes stress for you instead of the joy the hobby sould bring.
So it isn't just a question of bioload. This is all just my opinion. It is your tank and you should have it your way.

locoyo386

Hi there,
Originally Posted by Christinaja
http:///forum/post/3069781
I have developed a set of rules that have worked for me in stocking my tanks. It's not a simple set of rules but they have worked great so far.