Running Carbon for a Reef?

kylecorson

hey to all, kind of new to saltwater fish, what are the advantages and benefits of running carbon into a satlwater reef?
29 gallon tank
what is the best way to do this also?
thanks for the suggestions!!!!

bang guy

I've performed a few experiments with carbon and it seems to work best when water is forced though the carbon. It seems to be effective for about 2 days and then stops working.
In my system I'll run it for 2 days once every one or two months. I keep a full container as an emergency stash in case of a chemical spill but generally I don't use it unless the water isn't looking perfectly clear.

natclanwy

I have run my reef both ways and without the carbon my water would get a yellow or green cast to it, you could only see it if you looked through the side of my tank though. So I run carbon 24/7 in a magnum HOB canister and change it every couple of weeks. The carbon also helps to combat chemical warfare between corals if you run mixed coral tank.

kylecorson

thanks to all who have replied, i have in my 29 gallon tank:
protien skimmer
2 korialia's (have no idea how to spell that)
and an aqua clear power filter
carbon? good idea? bad idea? how to?

natclanwy

It can't hurt unless you don't change the carbon out on a regular basis. Then it can leach chemicals back into your tank like phosphates.
The easiest way to run carbon is probably with a canister filter and the Marineland H.O.T. magnums seem best design for running carbon since it forces the water through the carbon.