Running copper in fish only tank

mactruck56

New 55g fish only tank was just set up 1 month ago with live sand and lots of dead rock. I put 6 damsels in to start the cycling process and i have just noticed Ich on two of the damsel. Was thinking of running copper but not sure if this would alow me to us shrimp for feeding my later on lion fish, or kill the bacteria that forms on the bio-balls? Any suggestions, or comments?

crypt keeper

Take the damsels out. Lesson 1 never cycle a tank with fish. If you dont plan on keeping the damsels I would take them out and start hypo. Let the tank remain empty for 4 to 6 weeks. This will kill the ich and not risk the tank for any possible projects later on in life. In that time I would start a QT. This will allow all new incoming fish to placed in this tank and cure any disease that may show up.
If you plan to feed the lion only shrimp you will end with a dead lion fish. They cannot survive long term on the same food everyday all day long. niether can you.

mantisman51

Depends on the type of copper. I have only used Coppersafe because it is chelated and does get removed by the filter media over time. I used Coppersafe several times when my 125g reef was a cichlid tank, but when converting to SW a couple years, I used Amquel+ and I use a large canister filter with plenty of carbon and I keep hermits, conches, snails, coral, etc. So, if my experience is any indication, using copper won't permanently damage your tank.

dragonboy

I use Seachem copper its a good copper it does kill off some pods and maybe some beneficial bacterial but it doesn't wipe out everything and it can easily be filter out. My fish are fine with this stuff they can take this copper and it help get rid of all of the ick. All my pods came back within a month.

mactruck56

Well i was going to keep the damsels in for a food source but i just was wondering if i could run copper without it killing off the shrimp right away as i put them in for food as well as any crustacean i would use as a food source as well?

locoyo386

HI there,
Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3077754
Take the damsels out. Lesson 1 never cycle a tank with fish. If you dont plan on keeping the damsels I would take them out and start hypo (Why do hypo if there is no fish in the tank, couldn't you just leave the tank empty for the 6 weeks?) . Let the tank remain empty for 4 to 6 weeks. This will kill the ich and not risk the tank for any possible projects later on in life. In that time I would start a QT. This will allow all new incoming fish to placed in this tank and cure any disease that may show up.
If you plan to feed the lion only shrimp you will end with a dead lion fish. They cannot survive long term on the same food everyday all day long. niether can you.

penske38

I was always told that once you use copper, u can never remove it from the tank without extreme measures. Be cautious in using it, you won't be able to add anything other than fish, crabs, and maybe snails. I would use a product I have found much success with called "Prazipro." I have used it in my tank without removing fish, rock, etc. This will kill the ich in your tank without any ill effects to your biological filter, etc.
Note: Invest in a good UV sterilizer!

srfisher17

1.) Any copper used at a level to kill ich will also kill almost all inverts.
2.) U.V. may help a little, but will not cure ich.
3.) A 55 will house a dwarf lion, fuzzy or zebra, can easily be kept in a 55. Don't get a Volitan, they are one of the fastest growing fish we keep and will outgrow your tank in no time. But on the bright side, it will solve your damsel problem.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mactruck56
http:///forum/post/3077959
Well i was going to keep the damsels in for a food source but i just was wondering if i could run copper without it killing off the shrimp right away as i put them in for food as well as any crustacean i would use as a food source as well?
Your fish can eat other food. Get rid of the damsels and leave your tank without fish for a month. You would have to treat your tank for that long anyway. This way you have not added chemicals that will harm your later inhabitants.