Running Copper???

saltfisher

Do I have to remove my protein skimmer and the carbon from my filters? This stuff will also kill inverts and liverock, right?? Any info on this stuff would be helpful....

michelle13

Yes it will Kill inverts and all the stuff on your live rock not to mention that the copper will be in your tank forever and any inverts or live rock you try to put in will die. Why would you treat your tank with copper? If it's because of ich there are better ways to treat for it. JMO:)

saltfisher

Well, I am starting to get pissed off because all of the fish I put in my tank that doesn't have slime/skin, whatever, catches Ick and dies. I have had the same 4 fish in my tank for over an year and all is well with them. The minute I add a Naso, yellow Tang or any Angel, they die. I've bought all the hardware that I was told needed to prevent such problems, but it does not help. So I am going to remove all inverts and I guess kill my LR with copper. This should prevent any more such problems.

dreeves

Take your live rock out and inverts...put them into a QT system. You may, if you have 2, put the fish in one seperate and either copper or hypo them.
As for your main tank...putting copper in will ruin the tank. Unless you take everything out (substrate and all) and scrub the tank...copper will always be in there as it is its nature to bond with whatever it comes in contact with. Leave your tank fish and invert free for about 4-5 weeks, you can try the hyposalinity alot of these people on this board place so much trust in.
You could sterilize the tank as well. That consists of simply ridding the tank of all saltwater, sludge, etc...fill it with tap water right from the sink, and run the filters (minus carbon) for about 2-3 weeks. During this time, stir the substrate as well.
When you are finished...drain the tank, rinse it a few times (fill and drain) then fill it with your normal tank water supply. The tank will have to re-cycle...but, you will not have any saltwater organisms, good or bad, and a fresh start.
Keep your fish in QT for awhile, until the tank as re-cycled.
As for the fish from the get go...many here do not advocate it, but I use it and have 100 percent faith in it...freshwater dips. Dechlrorinated freshwater, proper temp, place fish in this water for about 2-3 minutes. Watch the fish closely, if the fish begins to show severe adverse reactions, remove it to saltwater quickly.
Freshwater dips accomplish in the same manner which hyposalinity does. Most marine organism die in freshwater due to the osmotic pressure differences of the freshwater. This includes all parasites.
Good luck...and remember, these are only my opinions and thoughts...methods of which I use myself...minus the hyposalinity stuff though.

ophiura

I wouldn't do it, for one reason. I don't think it will solve your problem. I think the problem is the tank is fully stocked, and the fish you are adding can be very delicate and prone to being beaten up by established fish that you have had for over a year. Those fish should be pretty large by now.
Some sources of stress can be solved and fish will not come down with ick, other sources of stress will continue unless you remove some of the fish. In this case, you can treat all you want, but the fish will still end up dead.
If you are going to one LFS that is selling you all sorts of stuff to supposedly prevent ick (which is, IMO, impossible except to keep fish healthy and not overcrowded) and does not simply say "hey, stop buying more fish" I would find a new store. They are making lots of money off you, and will continue to do so. What is their warranty like?
What are your water parameters?
The LR will absorb the copper and release it into the tank over time, so you will indeed remove all your inverts, probably forever (though with the selection of fish you have, I am not sure what you will keep long term as all of those things eat various inverts).

fshhub

using coper in the main tank is not a good idea anyhow, it willalso bond to the glass and filters and leech back later.
so far you have gotten good advice, but if you must use copper, do so in another hospital tank

middlenamemudd2

My advice would be to Quarentine the fish in a sperate tank so you don't kill your inverts. either that or go to fish only. And I would watch what you put in with that picasso trigger. I've had one and with size they tend to become quite territorial. triggers think they're the top of the food chain. my 6" eibli angel can assure of that if he were alive. Oh yeah, copper's tough but it can be affective.:mad:

michelle13

Basically you put the fish in a QT and lower the salinity to 1.009 over a couple of days. Then you leave the salinity at that level for about 4 weeks and then raise the salinity back up to the main tank level over a period of about a week. This is just a short overview there is great information on hyposalinity in the treatment and disease forum. You can do a search on this board and it will give you tons of information. Forgot to mention it will kill live rock, corals, and inverts so you can't do it on your main tank, that is the reason for the QT.

I

irenicus

You'll save yourself some money and headaches if you buy a refractometer (sp?) and commence hyposalinity. Do a search on the board for info.