Running Mh's With Out Glass

nyfisherman

Is anyone running Metal halides with out any glass between the bulb and the water surface? Right now i'm running a 10k 250watt retro in a canopy without a cover over the light or a lid on the tank. I've read that the lights produce to much UV that is normally blocked by the glass. Has anyone had any succes in this?

hurt

I think you are confusing SE with DE HQI. DE HQI need a UV sheild. SE do not. What type of bulbs are you running? And no, in my setup there is nothing between the SE MH's and the H20 surface execpt 8 inches.

xhappyx

i'm not using any shield just watch ur arms when working in the tank with lights on bulbs are hot hahahaha

nyfisherman

I am running a SE bulb. I'm just trying to figure out why my corals in this tank aren't doing well. I was pretty sure I saw that MH bulbs produce UV. Just trying to narrow things down.

thegrog

SE bulbs have a double glass layer that serves as the UV shield. They still put out some UV, but just enough for your corals to benefit and not enough to hurt anything.....unless you spend all day staring at them!!
And yes, watch out with your arm as those burns hurt like hell!!!