Running Phosguard

catfishcity

I am going to be running phosguard in my nanocube filter to remove some phosphates that i have. does it matter which chamber i should put it in? how long should i keep it in the filter? should i run it with the carbon? all help appreciated

oceansidefish

I would get a reactor...They are $40 and external. IME phosphate removers don't remove much without a good tumble

soulsigma

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/3054961
I would get a reactor...They are $40 and external. IME phosphate removers don't remove much without a good tumble
+1 you'll be better off using the phosphate removal filters which can be place right in your filter box and they work like a charm.

stanlalee

I totally disagree. GFO and aluminum oxide work GREAT in a media bag as long as its located where water has to pass thru it (canister, between sump dividers, media chambers, HOB filters ect). media reactors effectively increase contact area. you can do that in a media bag by simply adding more product then you would in a reactor. sure some surface area is wasted but to say it doesn't work well without a reactor is absurd.

woody189

I run my carbon in a media bag and place it in the 1st section of my sump. That is where the drain from my overflow goes into, and where the skimmer, and I placed it directly under the drain.. There's a nice amount of movement in that area, so that should be good, right? (don't mean to threadjack, but OP, you can try the same.)

salt210

I use a reactor and it has helped me a lot. i was running Phosloc i believe. I always get the same stuff and dont even pay attention to the name anymore.

catfishcity

ok thanks for all of the info. i think i am just going to put it into the first chamber and then see what happens. should i ever have to replace it or does the first amount work fine?