Rust Color Film On Glass

hellcat37d

I HAVE A RUST COLOR FILM ON MY GLASS I CLEAN IT OFF AND NEXT DAY ITS BACK,MY WATER CHECKS GOOD.I ALSO HAVE
ANNOMES THAAT DONT LOOK GOOD THEY HAVE A WHITE COTTAGE CHEESE LOOKING STUFF ON THEM AND THEY LOOK DEAD BUT NOT.

clarkiiboi

Is this tank new, how long have you had it up and running AFTER the cycle? What are your readings for the tank water?

hellcat37d

My tank has been up for about three months all my readings are normal except ph its running above 8.7 well water.

nas19320

What kinda lighting do you have? Your ph is really high. Not sure but it could just be diatoms. Is it on anything else?

clarkiiboi

Since its still a fairly new tank it is probably diatoms. Usually it appears as a rust colored dusting on the LS, and glass. I'm not sure if the PH would contribute to it though. Also if the anemones where put in the tank before the cycle was completed that may have something to do with why they look the way they do. HTH

clarkiiboi

IMO, the first thing I would do is try to get the PH down. Then when that is stable you can get a clean up crew (start slow) to help with the diatoms. Don't worry, its a natural process of all new tanks. Also you may want to check your water source---it may contribute to the diatoms. I too dont have a RO/DI unit yet, but use distilled water from wal-mart at the time (big improvement). HTH