Sabiki catch ID needed.

V

vince-1961

We call them blue runners around here. I was thinking it might be, but some parts of the photos I found didn't quite seem right, especially the blue line on dorsal, which various sites say is a darkish green on the hardtail. (but then again, why else would they be called "blue runners"?)
Here's a copy & paste job which mentions that some folks keep them in aquarium. It does not sound "reef safe."
==========================================
Family: Carangidae
Common Name: Blue runner, Hardtail, Runner, Yellow mackerel
Size: to 70.0 cm TL (male/unsexed); max. weight: 3,740.0 g.
Habitat: Pelagic; marine. Depth range: 0-100 m. A schooling species generally not far from the coast. Juveniles often found in association with floating Sargassum.
Range: Atlantic coast of America, Brazil to Rhode Island and to Nantucket Sound, less commonly as far northward as outer Nova Scotia; represented by a closely allied species in the Pacific.
Diet: Feeds on fishes, shrimps, and other invertebrates.
Reproduction: Spawns offshore from January through August.
Comments: Commercially fished and used as gamefish and in aquariums. Dangerous; reported cases of ciguatera poisoning.

jp30338

Why would you even take a fish fom the wild stick it in your tank without knowing what the hell it is, or its rquirements, quite stupid imo...

V

vince-1961

JP, do you even know what a sabiki rig is?
It's a line with small gold hooks used to catch bait. The fish caught on a sabiki go in the live well on the boat. Once it's on the sabiki, it's as good as dead, guaranteed...most likely as bait on my trolling line. So, who cares what "its requirements" are? (although most likely, it needs to stay in the open water, far from shore, from any reef and even farther from any confinement.)
Second, did I say I put it in the DT? Did you even for a moment stop to consider that I might have a QT and put it in there out of sheer curiosity b/c it was a pretty fish?
Third, are you saying that I should have saved it's doomed life, photographed it, let it go, then gone back offshore later, after I had idenitifed it and researched "its requirements", and caught it again if I decided I wanted it for my DT? Apart from being impossible, that's just assinine.
so, SIR, think first before you insult someone.

mantisman51

Originally Posted by jp30338
http:///forum/post/3127124
Why would you even take a fish fom the wild stick it in your tank without knowing what the hell it is, or its rquirements, quite stupid imo...

#1-He said it is in his QT. #2-I don't recall anyone asking for YHO.

dazed2040

I agree, it was as good as dead once it when in to the live well. I think it looks like a Blue runner also, but who knows.

cranberry

If it wasn't for the ciguatera factor I would have said to grow em and eat em where it looks like they're aren't going to be aquarium safe.
What are ya going to do with them now?

V

vince-1961

That's a good question. I am thinking of using a 29 g tank I have in the garage as a FOWLR just for whatever I bring home from the ocean.....but 29g is SO SMALL!
Then again, keeping a FOWLR would be so much easier and less expensive than the reef tank.
It would, no doubt, end up full of very aggressive fish!!!

jp30338

Originally Posted by vince-1961
http:///forum/post/3127398
JP, do you even know what a sabiki rig is?
It's a line with small gold hooks used to catch bait. The fish caught on a sabiki go in the live well on the boat. Once it's on the sabiki, it's as good as dead, guaranteed...most likely as bait on my trolling line. So, who cares what "its requirements" are? (although most likely, it needs to stay in the open water, far from shore, from any reef and even farther from any confinement.)
Second, did I say I put it in the DT? Did you even for a moment stop to consider that I might have a QT and put it in there out of sheer curiosity b/c it was a pretty fish?
Third, are you saying that I should have saved it's doomed life, photographed it, let it go, then gone back offshore later, after I had idenitifed it and researched "its requirements", and caught it again if I decided I wanted it for my DT? Apart from being impossible, that's just assinine.
so, SIR, think first before you insult someone.

I could care less what a sabiki rig is....
And I did not insult YOU, I insulted the idea of taking something home rom the ocan that yo had no idea of what it was as mentioned in your first post.
Then you proceed to want to set-up a 29g agressive fowlr, for whatever you bring from the ocean. That is just complete irresponsibility! First, a 29g is too small for an aggressive tank. Second, you should just leave whatever you animals you "find" in ocean, instead of experimenting to see how long you can keep them alive in a 29g...

V

vince-1961

You obviously have never been offshore. Instead of venturing into unhelpful territory, let me just ask you an on-topic question: Given that I agree that a 29g tank is way too small for anything other than small fish (fresh or saltwater) or use as a QT, what do you mean by "irresponsible"?
When you answer, please support your answer with some reasoning, coherent argument or factual support as I do not give much credence to any response that could be characterized as something like "I have no experience with anything, have no education on this topic, but feel like spouting off at the mouth with some fanciful notions that sound all goody-two-shoes, but about which I truly know nothing, because I like the sound of my own voice." In others words, if you have something meaningful to say, let's hear it.
So far, you sound like the kind of person who would chastise a child for catching a lightening bug or bringing home some other lifeform from the backyard woods just because the child wanted to.
Actually, maybe I'll set up my swimming pool as a saltwater tank, catch some barracuda, mackeral, dolphin, tuna and some other sportfish, keep them alive and throw them in it. That way, I could watch and study their behavior scientifically so that I could learn to catch them more efficiently. Of course, I'll have to feed them with all sorts of smaller fish I'll have to bring home from the ocean, even if I don't know what they are.
Let's start by seeing if they'll go after your watch or any other jewelry you are wearing when I invite you over for a party.
I'll provide the food and entertainment. You bring the beer.

V

vince-1961

Correct. Very small ones at that. I prefer the 6" ones for trolling but the little ones are good for bottom fishing.

ophiura

It looks to me to be a bar jack, Carangoides ruber.
jp30338 - though I am very much opposed to people bringing home things without research, as are you, in such a case as this it is better than nothing. This is effectively by-catch and a fish that will die, in contrast to people who pick up things at the beach and throw it in a tank (to go oops! later). I get really annoyed with that sort of thing :D the critical thing is that the fish is never released to the wild again, if kept with anything that is not local.
I would ask that you please watch your tone, but that at the same time, I would ask that other posters not escalate a situation. Overall it becomes unnecessarily ugly for no gain.