Sad about the $75 rule here at SWF

azfishgal

Why do they have this rule?! It makes the responsible marine aquarist, who adds one fish (or species) at a time, to not be able to get fish from SWF.
The next fish I'm going to add is 3 jawfish, but it doesn't come out to $75. So now I have to go somewhere else. I love you SWF, but this rule does not help those of us who are trying to be responsible and add our fish slowly.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by reefreak29
i think they do this so they can provide free shipping
Yeah, but you still pay a $9.99 fuel charge, and $9.99 processing fee, so that's $20 of "free" shipping.

anubisxero

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Yeah, but you still pay a $9.99 fuel charge, and $9.99 handling fee, so that's $20 of "free" shipping.
word!

joojoo

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Yeah, but you still pay a $9.99 fuel charge, and $9.99 handling fee, so that's $20 of "free" shipping.
lol, exactly. Sometimes you can find somebody on the boards who lives near you and split the shipping cost.

autofreak44

wow i didnt realise that it was $75 bucks!... i was just about to order some stuff when i reasd this... wow, can you say that sucks?!? i only get like $10 a week to spend on my tank, if i wanted to order from here, and keep up my tank, it would take like 4 months to scrap up the extra cash... besides, like azfishgal said how am i supposed to buy 75$ worth of stuff and add it to my nano all at once?hmm too bad.....

viper_930

Sooo...what's the point of this thread? If you're trying to make a difference, it would be more effective to email SWF.com directly. They do not cruise the message boards.
What would be the alternative to a minimum order with a low "shipping" charge?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by autofreak44
wow i didnt realise that it was $75 bucks!... i was just about to order some stuff when i reasd this... wow, can you say that sucks?!? i only get like $10 a week to spend on my tank, if i wanted to order from here, and keep up my tank, it would take like 4 months to scrap up the extra cash... besides, like azfishgal said how am i supposed to buy 75$ worth of stuff and add it to my nano all at once?hmm too bad.....

You can order "dry" goods with no minimum order. I've order lots of stuff from here and am happy with all my orders. It's just the "live" orders.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Sooo...what's the point of this thread? If you're trying to make a difference, it would be more effective to email SWF.com directly. They do not cruise the message boards.
What would be the alternative to a minimum order with a low "shipping" charge?
Well, I wasn't trying to make a "difference" or slam this site, I like the "dry" orders I've received and I like the message board. It's just sad we can't order fish if we don't spend $75. The alternative might be to raise the price of the fish a bit. I'm not really concerned about price in general, just that I get a good healthy fish and I have heard a lot of good things about SWF live stock, being very good. But I want to do the responsible thing and only add one fish at a time and I also need at least three weeks between adding new fish, as that's the time I will have each fish in QT. I'm like everyone else on this message board, just stating my view point about something. Notice I said I was "sad", not pissed or angry or discusted. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else. Wasn't my intention at all.

viper_930

Not at all, I wasn't offended. I just wasn't sure what your aim was.
Raising the price on fish would make some people a little miffed. Unfortunately some people would get mad either way. The minimum order is just so that SWF.com can keep prices low, keep shipping/handling low, and still insure that they can put food on their tables. I ship corals fairly often and shipping is a killer on its own. The last time I overnighted a *small* box to the east coast it costed $72.
Another option they have is to not have a minimum order amount but charge a flat rate shipping of $45 or so. However, $45 shipping for just a few small fish isn't worth it either.
If you just need to fill up the $79, grab a few inverts. I can never have enough snails.

fxlr8

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
If you just need to fill up the $79, grab a few inverts. I can never have enough snails.

yes, if they are in stock

I don't have a problem with the minimum order price, I just have problems trying to find things I want to get to the minimum.

puffer32

They usually have lots of snails, hermits etc, and their prices are good. I hope they keep their free shipping for orders over 79.00, most internet stores make you spend 150 and up for free shipping, and shipping overnight is expensive! Why would they send you a 20.00 fish and ship it free??? As a business, they need to make some money, i think they give a good deal here myself.

jessi p

There are lots of different things to buy to flesh out an order - how about some pods, or polyps, inverts etc? I am putting together an order now for swf.com and I am having problems keeping it at 150 or below (gotta love birthday money LOL).

renogaw

and dont forget, there are some sites out there that do not offer free shipping, or the minimum is over $150.
if you don't like the fuel surcharge, talk with your congressman and get them to get the price of gas back down.

renogaw

Originally Posted by fxlr8
yes, if they are in stock

I don't have a problem with the minimum order price, I just have problems trying to find things I want to get to the minimum.

that's THE worst thing about this site. there's WAY too much on the wishlist instead of in stock

triga22

I dont have any troubles with this. I guess its because im not buying fish. Im going to buy corals and inverts which dont have any bioload really. Id love to buy fish but your right its kinda hard if thats all you want.

S

surfinusa

a plave that starts with an L i think has 300 dollars minimum order

d0 thy d3w

im still waitin on their Black and white clowns to be in stock!! cuz i just know if i special ordered one from the lfs it would be 60+ dollars...and of course for the filler to get 75 or w/e i could add sum corals!! woot