Sad Day, Good Day

Jesterrace

The bad news is that despite my best efforts my Green Mandarin passed away. The good news is that the crabs and cleaner shrimp found where it was wedged between the rocks and pulled it out to eat, so it was much easier to remove. The other bit of good news is that the aggressive Fairy Wrasse I removed a few weeks back sold at my LFS and they just happened to have a Melenurus Wrasse (aka Hoven's Wrasse) in stock and the fish store traded me straight across for it. It is a small one at this point, which is what I wanted to make the adjustment easier for the other fish. He got in the tank and poked at his reflection in the back for a few minutes and then buried himself in the sand. I understand this is pretty common for melenurus wrasses while they get used to their new surroundings. We will have to see if the aggression comes out from my territorial Goby and whether or not the Wrasse will become a butthead, but I like my odds better with this guy than either the Fairy Wrasse (which was within an inch of full size) or a 6 line (which I desperately wanted, but was just too much of a risk).

Jesterrace

The Bad News: It looks like I got the female (colors won't be as stunning). The Good News: Barring some minor territorial stuff that happens only once or twice a day, there really hasn't been any major aggression from the Goby or other fish towards the new addition. It is a welcome change from the repeating snapping and chasing I dealt with on the Solar Wrasse and the Flame Angel. It is also the first addition where my Purple Firefish isn't afraid to come out into the tank and hang out for a while, which is a big plus. I will keep an eye on it, especially as she grows and the colors and behavior tend to become a little more bold to see how it goes.