Sad day :(

javajoe

We discovered on Saturday that our beautiful red emerald crab has turned into a serial killer.
He went on a killing spree, killing our seahorse, the cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, and we suspect he is the reason for the disappearance of the sally lightfoot.
We dont think he got the sexy shrimp- hes not fast enough- the seahorse probably ate them.
So- we got really depressed, and self medicated when we drove to rochester to visit my grandmother, we bought a foxface, orange spotted rabbit fish, a big rock with star polpys, a rock with a neon green shroom, and a 2 ft long orange tree sponge.
Our seahore has been doing SO good too! its everones favorite when they come over. My weife still cant go by the tank with out shaking her head and saying, "Im so bummed about our seahorse!"
I DID manage to get the crab out, my LFS reluctanly acreed to take it, until he saw it-- he was a little concerned about what to do with it-- so we put it in the tank with the grouper (for food:) ).
The grouper IMMEDIATLY swooped down, tok the WHOLE crab in his mouth (its about 2 inches across the carapace) and the crab bit him with both claws (each claw is about 1.5 inches long) and the grouper spit him out and ran and hid. We shall see who wins in this battle-- he started going after him again, but more cautiosly-- i'll let y'all know if he makes it.

jonthefb

wow thats crazy. Your red emerald went postal and took everyone out! sory to hear about your loss. Was your seahorse wild caught or tank raised?
good luck rebuilding
jon

javajoe

it was a BEAUTIFUL orange brazillian, and it was tank raised. was doing winderfully in our reef for the last 4 months. (see pics of him in my tanks pic post.

kelly

JavaJoe,
Sorry to hear about your disaster. I heard large hermits were not reef safe. Hopefully you can find another seahorse that will do well in your tank. I am sure the grouper will win out.
Best wishes

javajoe

It wasnt a hermit-- it was a red emerald crab....
here is a photo a few days before the killing spree...

sorry joe i knew that seahorse was ur pride and joy.and i wanted to get a RED one instead of a green one because their aggressive but know i figured out both are.

wrassecal

JavaJoe, I'm really sorry to hear this story and I loved that pic. I know you loved that seahorse, but it's really not a good idea to self-medicate and drive to grandmas. You musta been really out of it.:(

javajoe

Originally posted by Wrassecal
JavaJoe, I'm really sorry to hear this story and I loved that pic. I know you loved that seahorse, but it's really not a good idea to self-medicate and drive to grandmas. You musta been really out of it.:(

The 'self-medicated' stuff was a joke-- we were planning on going to go buy stuff that day anyway-- :)

jonthefb

i dunno java, that seahorse is givin your red emerald quite a star in that pic. maybe it was (dramatic) neverending battle for turf between the two and although the horse fought valiently, one night your crab got the jump on the horse while she was sleeping and finished her off. sounds like a good movie huh?:D ;)
Very sorry dude.
good luck

javajoe

It would be a good "Lifetime- Based on a True Story" movie- maybe i should try to sell the movie rights? :)

wrassecal

Javajoe, I was just kidding too about the self-medicating, the sad face was for your loss....I've got to learn to type with more feeling.:eek: