2 Percs
1 Yellow Tang
1 Coral Beauty
1 LB
1 Hippo
2 Green Chromisis
1 Dragonet
1 Royal Gramma
I was away this past weekend, and upon returning yesterday, I noticed my pump was running very loud. I turned it off and put my hand in the sump to pull it out, and I noticed that the water felt very, very, warm. I looked at the temp and it was 92 deg. I immediately turned off my MH's, and gradually added cooler water to try to lower the temp in my tank. The temp started coming down and was around 82 deg by the end of the evening (78-79 deg is normal for my tank). I kept the PH's running all night for flow, but my sump pump was off. But, because of my stupidity, the temp this morning was 72 deg. I failed to realize that my heater was in the sump and wouldn't hold the temp in the tank with the pump off. I immediately noticed my CB and Hippo (and a Peppermint Shrimp) were dead; my Yellow Tang was lying on it's side (but doing better now); my male Perc is still not doing well (but fem seems fine); LB is ok; and GC's are fine. I have yet to spot my Dragonet and RG. (And I just noticed my CB Shrimp lost a front claw.) All my parameters are within normal ranges (tested this AM), so I'm assuming the drastic change in water temp over the past 48 hours is what caused this disaster. I have my MH's on and the heater is in the main tank, and my temp is now 75 deg.
So I'm writing this to all who read it looking for some confirmation in my assumption (and wondering if there's anything else I can do)... and I guess it's a bit theraputic for I'm very distraught over what happened.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is very sad, scott. Yes, the drastic ups and downs of the temp is pretty much a receipe for disaster, especially both happening at the same time. Fortunately for me, I live in the tropics, so I don't even have to use a heater except in in my little QT.
What was the pump that failed BTW? I firmly believe that hobbyist can never leave for vacations or any other reasons once we decide to keep tanks.
Just keep the lights off, but room lights will be ok. Better not to keep the fish in complete darkness.

scott9311

Thanks Beth... Yes, I even worry a bit when I'm at work, much less away for two days. Of course, something like this will only happen when I'm away...
I'm not exactly sure what the brand of the pump is for my paperwork on it is at my office. It wasn't a cheap, in-expensive one though... but it wasn't necessarily designed for aquariums (though it was rated for salt water usage). It's only been in use for about 7-8 months, so I'm reassesing the "cheap" portion of my statement.
You really think I should keep my main lights off? It's definitely helping me get the temp back up, and the remaining fish seem to be doing better since I brought them on.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
In that case, leave the lights on.
Check the pump brand, and you might want to give the manufacture a call if that pump is less than a yr old. I'm wondering if it is a RIO, which is notorious for problems.

scott9311

It's definitely not a RIO (I've read enough negative remarks about them here to convince me to steer clear).
I'm happy to share that the remaining fish seem to be doing so much better! My Yellow Tang still isn't eating, but at least he/she is swimming aroung better. And though my CB Shrimp looks a bit strange without any front claws, he seems to be doing fine as well. Thanks for the advice Beth!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You should call the manufacture and raise you know what. Do you still have a receipt?

scott9311

They've already sent me a replacement... and I (albeit reluctantly) installed it last night. I took measures to make sure I don't have a repeat performance by installing a line voltage thermostat in line with the power to the pump. If the temp gets over 80 deg F... the stat cuts the power to the pump.
Thanks again for your advice (and support) Beth... You will be happy (as I am) to know that my surviving fish and coral are doing great!