Saddled Toby is he safe?

stevel

I have a saddle toby in my 55gal fish only tank and want to put it in my new 90gal tank with lr,hermits and snails.After looking him up in the Marine Fishes hand book it says their not reef safe. What do they do to make them "not reef safe"?I don't have a reef tank yet but I might want to get some soft corals later.I would hate to get rid of him I've had him for a year in the other tank with no problem.He's a cool little guy about 1" long.If I transfer him today what kind of trouble will he get into?

beachbaby

He will eat lots of cool things on your live rock for one. He is an aggressive and territorial fish. We had one in the reef tank for a while. We had to really keep an eye on him. When he started attacking new snails we put in we had enough and put him in a fish only tank. He did well there and had a green spotted puffer as his best buddy. They are pretty fish. Ours had a lot of personality, too. Good luck!

beachbaby

I just remembered... We were upset about the snails but the last straw was when he ate the flame scallop we put in. I guess we learn as we go... :)

stevel

Thanks for the reply. I put him in this morning and so far he's been OK.He does't seem to be bothering with the snails or hermits yet. I guess I'll keep an eye on him.

royce

My Valentini puffer has never bothered any of my hermits, snails or shrimp, and I have had him for ~2-3 years. I was worried once I read that they were not reef safe, but perhaps I have a sweet one. He does have a ton of character and we love him.