Safe to use cheesecloth in Fluval filter?

jeffcas

I am using a Fluval 205, loaded with filter sponge on the bottom tray, carbon on the middle tray, and phosphate sponge in the top tray.
The problem is that the phosphate sponge (Kent) is so small that it falls through the holes in the medium tray. Since phosphate sponge lasts considerably longer than my 4-6 week carbon changes, this is a hassle and wastes phosphate sponge.
I was thinking of wrapping the phosphate sponge in cheesecloth which would contain it nicely, and I believe still offer adequate circulation of water through the phosphate sponge.
Is it safe to use cheesecloth in the Fluval filter like this in a reef tank?
Thanks for the response,
Jeff

alohami

Welcome to the boards!

A better option than cheesecloth would be media bags. There are several options available, and they are only a few dollars and are reusable. They come in different sizes and also different microns, which is the actual size of the mesh. All you would have to do is get one that is the appropriate size and micron to contain your media and you would be all set.

jeffcas

Thank you for the reply. To have any suggestions as to where I might purchase these media bags? They are not available here on saltwater.com.

alohami

I know SWF doesn't carry them, but they are otherwise pretty easy to find. Your LFS (local fish store) should have them, and I know the big chain fish/pet stores have them. Most mail order places stock them as well.

pbienkiewi

Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
http:///forum/post/2697391
I have been known to use a knee high stocking

I agree. You can put your media into the stocking then twist then give it a second layer. What a weird look a men gets going to pay for three or four pairs of kneehigh stockings. Try to explain to the people that are looking at you funny as to what there are for. Suuuuuuure mister. Also don't buy them of a Friday night.

luca brasi

Originally Posted by pbienkiewi
http:///forum/post/2697414
I agree. You can put your media into the stocking then twist then give it a second layer. What a weird look a men gets going to pay for three or four pairs of kneehigh stockings. Try to explain to the people that are looking at you funny as to what there are for. Suuuuuuure mister. Also don't buy them of a Friday night.

Yeah, my wife enjoys telling everyone that they are for her husband