safe way to take sfe out of tank

justilorah

i am wondering what would be the safest way to take my eel out of my tank with out harm to me and to him i had him qt for 6weeks and want to put him dt..

nicetry

At that size, they are strong and can maneuver their way out of a net with no problem. When I kept one, I would use a large net, and as soon as the eel was in, would twist the net closed, then hold it like that with my free hand to make sure it didn't get out. Don't be timid as the eel will bve fighting like mad to escape so hang on and know it can't hurt you. If the tank is large enough, get a good sized pail with a lid and herd the eel into the pail, sealing the lid after it to hold it in. Either way should work fine.

it's chuck

Go get a 3 liter bottle empty it, cut the top of right below where the bottle starts to curve in. Flip the top part over and set it down in the bottle and poke three holes 90 degrees apart. Use fishing line to tie the the two pieces together and attach a length of fishing line long enough to make from the bottom of the tank to the top and another foot or two(I'd say about 4') to the center hole. But pait(ie silversides or krill shrimp) in your new eel trap set it in the tank wait for him to to swim in to eat and pull the string to lift out the trap and congrats you caught you eel

justilorah

i have caught him.. i put a piece of 2" pvc about 2 feet long in the tank and he swam in and i blocked off the ends and away we went lol... smooth....

sk8shorty01

good idea justilorah, whatever works for you, they are tough little guys to get your hands on. At least it wasn't a damsel you had to catch!

gmann1139

Originally Posted by justilorah
http:///forum/post/2538561
i have caught him.. i put a piece of 2" pvc about 2 feet long in the tank and he swam in and i blocked off the ends and away we went lol... smooth....
Kudos on that.

Cheap, simple, easy, and effective. I'm not always impressed by home-grown solutions on here, but that one is definitely a great one.