Safest/proper way to bleach rock

reefkprz

bleaching will definitely affect the color of the rock but in time the rock will return to its normal coloration.

geoj

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:
But I can tell you how to get rid of the pest your friend :sad: gave you...

S

siptang

Get a big bucket, ice box, cooler of sort. Fill it with water and then gallon of bleach. I usually let it soak for a day with power head on so that water is circulating and getting dead stuff off the rocks.
Afterwards, rinse thoroughly with water then fill that bucket, ice box or whatever you filled in first with water and heavy amount of prime and let it circulate again with power head for couple of days.
After that, I would dry it completely making sure that bleach and it's affects are gone with evaporation then rinse with RO water then put it in your tank.
Too much? I do it like this to make sure there are no dead stuff coming into my tank causing any spikes or any unwanted bleach coming in.

floods7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/391378/safest-proper-way-to-bleach-rock#post_3470787
Get a big bucket, ice box, cooler of sort. Fill it with water and then gallon of bleach. I usually let it soak for a day with power head on so that water is circulating and getting dead stuff off the rocks.
Afterwards, rinse thoroughly with water then fill that bucket, ice box or whatever you filled in first with water and heavy amount of prime and let it circulate again with power head for couple of days.
After that, I would dry it completely making sure that bleach and it's affects are gone with evaporation then rinse with RO water then put it in your tank.
Too much? I do it like this to make sure there are no dead stuff coming into my tank causing any spikes or any unwanted bleach coming in.
What is the water to bleach ratio?

S

siptang

I usually go 50/50 to 60w /40b.
Over kill I know but better safe then sorry. You are spending $1 extra any ways. lol.

S

siptang

Like I said, it may be overkill but it will only cost you couple of bucks extra. It's really up to you. ;)

gemmy

Also, if you smell bleach after soaking in prime, do change out the water, add fresh water and more prime. Take no chances.

florida joe

Three parts water to one part bleach. One hour in solution is fine. Take the rock out and hose down with a strong stream of water. Soak rock in a 100% solution of fresh water for 1 hr. change water again with fresh water and add a de chlorinator let soak for ½ hr rinse and your good to go