sailfin goes missing

polarpooch

This one has me stumped. My sailfin is just GONE. Earlier today he was swimming around-- tonight, he's gone. I checked everywhere. If he'd lept out (which I think is next to impossible, given the way the tank is set up--and besides, it's a sailfin), I would have found him. I checked under rocks, moved around my corals and NOTHING. Not in the overflow. Not in the refugium.
I don't have any fish that would prey on him...and he was king of the tank anyway.
I don't have any weird sponges or slugs in the tank. Water parameters are perfect. All other fishes and my corals are fine.
It makes me mad...he was a perfect specimen and a fun fish to watch. I'm guessing something awful happened, he died suddenly, and my purple lobster made short order of the remains. I cannot think of any other explanation.
Anyone EVER have this happen with a sailfin or similar fish?

T

thomas712

I hate to say this for the mental image this could bring up, not to mention the smell but did you check your lights? canopy and surounding edges?
Thomas

polarpooch

Thomas, I checked everywhere. No canopy, and he's not stuck under the lighting ballast.
Aaron, I don't have a cat. I have a huksy (aka "Fish Eating Dog"), but she was in a kennel while I was gone, so while I'd like to blame her, I can't.
I found the lobster, but no backbone. I moved my rocks and corals around a bit (just to look in the crevices) to see if I could find something--but really the fish just vanished.
I did NH3 tests every couple of hours yesterday to see if I could find a spike...but nothing. Nothing this morning. Then again, I can't remember the last time I got an NH3 spike in that tank. I thought I might see something, though. I'm going to keep testing the water today and see what shows up. I do know there is no fish body in there anywhere, because I searched.:notsure:
I have to think it's the lobster, but I agree that I should have seen some sort of remnants of the fish. Bones or a fin or something.
:nervous:

ross

Don't give up! I always hear about peoples fish dissapearing for days, then they suddenly come back. If he wasn't too big he could be hiding in a rock.

polarpooch

how big is/was the tang
He was about 3" with his fins flared. Here's a pic...the thing was beautiful
Don't give up! I always hear about peoples fish dissapearing for days, then they suddenly come back
That would be great...but I'm not optimistic:(

polarpooch

Just got an ammonia spike in the tank (my pulsating xenias started to wilt, so I did a fast check). Damnit. No finding him now, I guess. :mad:

buzz

Well, if you got an ammonia spike, the fish is still in the tank somewhere. Keep looking.

polarpooch

Well, if you got an ammonia spike, the fish is still in the tank somewhere. Keep looking
UGH! I have looked and looked AGAIN...still can't find his remains. Must just be chunks now or something:(

buzz

OK...you have an overflow. Do you have a standpipe? Could it possibly be lodged in the standpipe or the tubing going into your sump? Do you have a filter bag in the sump? Did you check there?
Any large holes in your LR that it could be in?

polarpooch

Could it possibly be lodged in the standpipe or the tubing going into your sump?
Ding ding! And it was nasty. Good thing I read this post!

velocity

i had a yellow tail tamarin wrasse that died in a similar way. He had just been in the tank for 4 hours, he just got acquainted and became friends with the percula and the damsel and then on new years evee i was out partying and when i returned i couldnt find him. Turns out he was sucked up the powerhead and trapped there and died. That night the same thing happened, only this time to my peppermint shrimp. So i said screw this powerhead and took it out.