SailFin Tang eating Poop???

tonyintx

I have had the Sailfin Tang for almost a month. At first I was worried thinking I didn't have enough algae for him/her to eat but he/she has been eating like crazy and constantly has had a fat belly and just resently noticed he/she eating the poop of all the other fish and going crazy eating it like is the best thing in the world. I thought he might not be eating the other things i feed my fish (marine flakes, red/green algae sheets, kelp flakes and frozen brine shrimp) but in watching him lately, he eats everything. So my question is this, is the eating poop normal? should I be worried???

trouble93

Originally Posted by tonyintx
http:///forum/post/3118357
I have had the Sailfin Tang for almost a month. At first I was worried thinking I didn't have enough algae for him/her to eat but he/she has been eating like crazy and constantly has had a fat belly and just resently noticed he/she eating the poop of all the other fish and going crazy eating it like is the best thing in the world. I thought he might not be eating the other things i feed my fish (marine flakes, red/green algae sheets, kelp flakes and frozen brine shrimp) but in watching him lately, he eats everything. So my question is this, is the eating poop normal? should I be worried???
Only if you plan on kissing himher I have one that does the same thing...I wouldn't worry about what it's eating viras what you are feeding. Flake food has a way of fouling up your system. Uneaten food will decay in places like between rocks or stuck on power heads in your sand and it may lead to high Nitrates. Be careful not to over feed. Just my two cents worth.

small triggers

fish (like dogs) eat poop when they are lacking something in their nutrition. Flake food and algae are great, brine really has no nutritional value. You may want to try the frozen marine cuisine mix or someting to that affect that has the spirulina in it. A varied and rich diet with alot of the Omega-3's is awesome for your fish.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3118926
fish (like dogs) eat poop when they are lacking something in their nutrition. Flake food and algae are great, brine really has no nutritional value. You may want to try the frozen marine cuisine mix or someting to that affect that has the spirulina in it. A varied and rich diet with alot of the Omega-3's is awesome for your fish.
+1