Sailfin Won't Eat ..

E

exile415

Hi, I tryed feeding Flakes to the sailfin it wouldnt eat it. Im trying Seaweed and it hasnt even tryed to eat it .
What else can I try ..?
Thanks
-Eric

scubadoo

Try some Mysis shrimp. Try soaking the food in garlic. Leave some seaweed sheets in the tank for a couple hours...Nori or Seaweed Selects

guineawhop

if alls you've tried is flake and seaweed then you won't need garlic just yet although it won't hurt them. garlic is suppose to attract fish although it hasn't worked for me yet. mysid shrimp, brineshrimp with spirulina, pretty much anything in the freezer at your lfs that it can fit in it's mouth. if it doesn't eat with mysid or brine than you've got a problem. almost all fish will eat those.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by guineawhop
if alls you've tried is flake and seaweed then you won't need garlic just yet although it won't hurt them. garlic is suppose to attract fish although it hasn't worked for me yet. mysid shrimp, brineshrimp with spirulina, pretty much anything in the freezer at your lfs that it can fit in it's mouth. if it doesn't eat with mysid or brine than you've got a problem. almost all fish will eat those.
Garlic is an appetite stimulant for picky eaters. If you did not witness the animal eat before purchase then you cannot be certain when the last time was he received nutrition. personally, I would not wait as poor nutrtion can lead to disease. Also, some beleive garlic will boost the immune system and could possibly help with ich although I do not beleive this has been proved..
I use it as a regular part of the diet. I have a Grouper that will actually eat seaweed selects if it is soaked in garlic xtreme by Kent. If not soaked he doesn't even look at it.
I do beleive your fish will be healthier and happier if you saok the food in garlic......I beleive in it as a regular part of the diet along with soaking in vitamins such as selcon.

ssweet1

I got my new fish to eat by starting with live food brine shrimp that I added garlic juice too. I then added frozen brine shrimp with garlic juice and then went to frozen mysis with garlic. Now that fish eats everything and anything I feed him. I truly feel he didnt recognize that the frozen stuff was food, obviously they dont get that in the Indian Ocean or Red Sea, so it just made since to slowly introduce him to it. Man by the time I added the live brine he was starving!! He ate so much his stomach was bulging!! Good Luck, Carrie

E

exile415

i used garlic and my sailfin came RIGHT UP and ate thanks a lot guys =]

scubadoo

Originally Posted by exile415
i used garlic and my sailfin came RIGHT UP and ate thanks a lot guys =]
:D

guineawhop

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
Garlic is an appetite stimulant for picky eaters. If you did not witness the animal eat before purchase then you cannot be certain when the last time was he received nutrition. personally, I would not wait as poor nutrtion can lead to disease. Also, some beleive garlic will boost the immune system and could possibly help with ich although I do not beleive this has been proved..
I use it as a regular part of the diet. I have a Grouper that will actually eat seaweed selects if it is soaked in garlic xtreme by Kent. If not soaked he doesn't even look at it.
I do beleive your fish will be healthier and happier if you saok the food in garlic......I beleive in it as a regular part of the diet along with soaking in vitamins such as selcon.
i know garlic is suppose to get fish to start eating, but if he hasn't tried foods like brine and mysid shrimp then maybe he won't have to buy garlic extracts which are expensive.

scubadoo

Keep the garlic as well as vitamins in his diet. You do not have to use additives...you can use garlic purchased at the grocery.
IMO...you should always have some on hand when you purchase a new fish...just in case.
For those that cannot afford to purchase some additives they may wish to reconsider the hobby. Cutting corners and/or trying to save a few bucks on additives could lead to big losses.
Many years ago I learned the hard way.
Hope he is doing well...post an update if you can.